Chapter 9 Marinette's Bodyguard?

The next day, Marinette wakes up early.  She is not sure what to do next.  How will she manage to avoid Adrien?   She gets up, prepares for the day and heads downstairs.  She hopes no one will notice her.  

      Only Emilie sees her and looks at her in surprise. "Now, what do we have here?" Emilie remarks.

        "Please, do not tell Adrien!  I came here because my father hit me again."  Marinette says with tears in her eyes.

        "I will not say a word about it to him. " Emilie says.  She gives Marinette a gentle hug. She thinks, I must ask Adrien to be Marinette's  bodyguard.  I am sure he will agree if he really cares for her as much as Mr. Cheng claims.

       Meanwhile, Adrien gets up.  He worries for Marinette.  He will not stop his concern for her unless she keeps away from Nathaniel, or manages to keep him away from her.  How will he convince her to stay at his place, so her father can not abuse her?   He must find someone to see she is safe more often than not.  Perhaps, he could hire a bodyguard.  Then, again he could be the one to guard her.  That is it, he will make sure anytime she goes somewhere he is nearby.  This way if trouble strikes he can intervene.  Yes, that is the best solution to the problem.

       Adrien gets ready for the day and goes downstairs.  He intends to speak to his mother at once.  He sees her with wait a minute, Marinette?  He can not believe it.  Marinette is here in his home!  Since when has she been here?  Why did he not notice?

     "Marinette, you are here?  Wow, I mean good morning."  Adrien says. He hopes she will not notice how eager he is to see her. 

     "Good morning, Adrien,"  Marinette says. She feels unsure about how to respond to his kindness.  She is not used to it not yet anyway.

      "Adrien, good you are home.  I want to suggest something."  Emilie says.

     "Oh, and what might that be, mother?"  Adrien asks.

     "I  believe Marinette needs protection.  So, you will be her bodyguard!  No protest, it is necessary!  Got it?"  Emilie says.

     "Yes, I agree.  Mother, thanks so much! " Adrien says.  He smiles at Marinette.

        Marinette sees him smile.  She thinks, wow!  He has a nice smile.  He does not smile that often either, I wonder why he does more lately.  He is just glad to see him in such a great mood for once.  She smiles back.

     "Marinette you have a pretty smile!"  Adrien says. He stands up, grabs her hand and heads out the door.

       Emilie smiles as she thinks, those two will be a couple in know time.  Why she is so good for him I would be proud to have her as a daughter in law and to have their children as my grandchildren.  No rush on the kid's part, but it would be nice to see my son happy for a change.  She dares not to say anything out loud since she does not want to make him angry.  

      Adrien continues to hold Marinette's hand.  He walks like this with her to college. He does not let go of it until they are in the classroom.  He sits at his desk once he sees Marinette sit in hers.  He can only hope now that there will be no more trouble with anyone bothering her after school.  

      The day goes well!  Later, the bell rings to signal the last day of the semester is over.  It will be a few months yet before the next semester of classes starts. 

       Adrien follows Marinette to her locker.  Unfortunately though, so does Nathaniel!  He is not too happy to see him anywhere near her.  He stands as close as he can to ensure she is okay.  He sees Nathaniel  Kurtzberg pin her against the locker as usual.  He sees his smirk.

        "Marinette, come on just a little smooch!"  Nathaniel says.

        "Leave me alone, or my bodyguard will pound you!" She says. She tries to be brave but really is not.

        Nathaniel laughs. He tickles her. He leans in and his nose touches hers. He is about to kiss her when Adrien growls at him. 

      Adrien regrets letting that jerk close to her anyway!  He is the worse friend ever!  Let alone bodyguard!  He rushes at him.  He grabs him away from her and throws him hard.  He looks on in horror as the other guys head impacts the floor and blood gushes from it.  He grabs Marinette's hand and runs with her.  He does not dare look back.  He is too afraid of what he might see.  

    Adrien runs until they reach the mansion. Once there, he pulls her inside the front door. He sees her cry.  He picks her up without a word and carries her upstairs.  He takes her to the guestroom and sets her down on the bed.  He sits down on the chair nearby and looks to the floor in shame.

      "A-Adrien, are you okay? " Marinette ask.

      "Yes, but it is just that I never meant for the boy to spill blood.  What have I done?"  Adrien says.

       "It is okay, I am sure we can think of something. Besides, it is self-defense. You only meant to help me which you did by the way.  Thanks, for being the best bodyguard ever!" Marinette says. 

     Marinette stands up, comes over to him, and kisses him on the cheek.  She pulls away and thinks, wait now why did I just do that for anyway?   I never kiss anyone.  Never.  what have I done?

      Adrien looks at her with a look of surprise on his face. He blushes as he thinks, did she really just kiss me?  What brought this on anyway?  It is not like she likes me.  I mean sure I love her, but she does not see me like someone special.  So how could she?  She must not do it again, ever.

       "Marinette, please do not kiss me."  Adrien states.

        "I am sorry. " Marinette says.  She looks away from him.  She can not bare to see him upset with her.  She blew it.  She must have gone and made an end to their friendship, or whatever it is already.  She puts her hands to her face and sobs into them. 

    Chapter 9  Originally Published 5-5-19  and  Edits made 5-6-19, 7-11-19 &  4-15-2020

         to be continued in Chapter 10  Midnight Madness?