I Guess Not

I walk to school on Monday, still sad about the loss of my dad. The funeral is on Wednesday. I go through my classes as usual, not paying attention. I received many 'I'm so sorry' and 'I'm sorry for your loss' comments, from people I've never talked to before.
   I decide that after school, I'll take another run through the woods to calm down some more. In art class, Becca assigns us to paint or draw our worst memory or favourite memory.
   I decide that the taxi ride to Willowbrooke was probably one of my worst memories. So, I paint myself. My head, leaning against the window of a yellow taxi cab, looking out on North Carolina as it rains, missing my mother, and wondering what Pennsylvania will be like.
   I guess living in North Carolina and living in Pennsylvania was both bad luck for my parents. But they're together now, right?
   Becc says nothing when she sees my painting, knowing that it's about a bad memory, not a good one.

   I run through the woods, my tail brushing things occasionally as I jump over logs and snap sticks with my small paws. I stop at the lake once more.
   I smell them. Whoever my mate is, I can smell them. It's... a girl. I never thought I would be mates to a girl, but I don't care.
   I can sense that they know I can smell them. But I don't know what form she's in. I can't tell. Suddenly, I hear a twig snap, and a bobcat appears from the trees.
   I see her bright sea-blue eyes instantly, knowing that this bobcat is my mate and I will protect her with my life.
   I guess Andi isn't my mate. She approaches me, and I sit down, waiting for her. She sits a few feet away from me, and we just look at each other for a few minutes.

She's perfect.