Before the Accident

"It has come down to three remaining contestants. Only now, one of your journeys will end short of the Mirrorball Trophy." Said Tom Bergeron, the host of Dancing with the Stars.

Maksim Chmerkovskiy had been wanting to win ever since he joined the show during season two. He had always come so close to winning, but always fell short. He had taken off a couple of seasons to pursue other opportunities, but he came back for one more chance to win the beloved Mirrorball Trophy.

When Maks first met his partner, gold medalist ice dancer Meryl Davis, he thought the producers had messed up. "She can't be my partner..." he thought to himself.

"Hi Maks! I'm Meryl and I can't wait to work with you this season!" The excited Meryl exclaimed. As soon as Maks heard her voice his heart melted. "First of all I want to know if you and Charlie are dating..." he asked her. She smiled and said no. "Well then...I love you and would love to marry you" said Maks. Was he teasing? Or was he serious?

-Back to the night of the Finale-

Maks was tense. He had never wanted anything more in his life than to win the Mirrorball Trophy. "Candace and Mark, I'm afraid your journey for the Mirrorball Trophy has ended" said Tom. Although Maks was sad to see Candace and Mark come short of winning, he was happy that it wasn't Meryl's name that had been called.

"Down to our final two couples. Meryl and Maks. Amy and Derek. I can now reveal to you who has won Season 18 of Dancing with the Stars" said Tom.

Meryl could feel Maks' tension.

"Hey", she said to him, "if we don't win, don't take it too hard. We had an amazing season and it's something the both of us will never forget". She then took his hand in hers and held it tight.

"Meryl and Maks. Amy and Derek. Both such amazing couples" said Tom.

"And the winner is..." Tom drew on.

"MERYL AND MAKS!" Tom yelled proudly. He had wanted Maks to win for so many seasons, so he was extremely proud that Maks had finally won.

Especially with someone he loved.

Maks didn't even remember hearing his and Meryl's names being called.

Val and Tony shot up from their spots in the audience and ran over to hug Meryl and Maks.

"BRO YOU FINALLY DID IT!!!!' Yelled Val, embracing his brother in a hug. Val had been on the show since season 13 and had always wondered why Maks hadn't won yet.

When Val met Meryl, he then knew that this was his brother's season to win.

"Any words?" Asked Tom and Erin.

"It was all you" Meryl said to them, looking at Maks.

Maks was at a loss for words.

He couldn't believe that he had finally won.

And he had won with the love of his life.

They were hoisted up onto the shoulders of their family and competitors.

Then the accident happened a few days later that would change everyone.