Chapter 4

At school, Emi was putting the finishing touches on Sumire's commission

At school, Emi was putting the finishing touches on Sumire's commission. Carefully coloring in between the lines, she fixed the shading before declaring it done.

Letting out a satisfied sigh, Emi took a good look at it, admiring her own work. She couldn't look at it too long or else she would think it would be the biggest disaster she ever created and hate it.

Getting up from her seat, Emi exited the classroom to search for her friend. Many students walked among the hallway, talking with their friends.

Seeing the back of Sumire's head, Emi hurried towards her. "Sumire!"

Sumire turned around, giving Emi a cheerful smile. "Hey! I was just about to head to class."

"Really now? What are you looking at?"

"Well... I was going to talk about it when I got to your desk. But it looks like our school is going to hold an art exhibit. It says here that any student can submit their work. You should totally enter, Emi!"

Emi shook her head. "I doubt mine would get any recognition."

"Nonsense! Oh! Look! It says that the first place winner will receive 100,000 yen."

Emi's eyes widen. "Really?!" She began to read the poster, confirming it true. "That money will help me and sis out quite a bit."

"It doesn't hurt trying, right? Even if you don't win first place, second place is 50,000 yen, and third place is 10,000 yen. Or if you don't rank, at least you can say you tried."

"Well... I guess I have nothing to lose."

Sumire squealed in delight. "That's great! I can help you get a canvas and the supplies you need!"

Emi softly smiled. "Thank you. You're such a good friend."

"That's what friends are for!"

Emi suddenly realized something. "Oh, right! Here. I finished it."

Sumire's eyes sparkled at the artwork. "It's so beautiful! I'm confident that you will rank high in the art exhibit!" She dug out of her wallet, placing the money in Emi's hands. "Here you are. 10,000 yen."

"10,000?! That's too much! You don't have to-"

Sumire started laughing. "You sound just like Tohru right now!"

Emi blushed in embarrassment. "I can't help that I picked up some of her habits..."

"I know! I'm just teasing you!" The bell began to ring. "That's our cue! Let's go, Emi!" Sumire took Emi by the hand, leading her to their class.

In Emi's mind, she felt anxious about entering the art exhibit. But at the same time, it was worth a shot if it means it will help Tohru out.

~•~