Chapter 8

A couple of months has passed

A couple of months has passed. It was almost the end of the year. Sitting on the tatami floor, Emi was twirling her fingers in a nervous way. "Hey Shigure, can my friend come over tomorrow?"

Lowering the newspaper he was reading, Shigure gave her a smile. "Sure. I don't see why not."

Emi smiled brightly. "Thank you very much!"

Tohru looked a bit curious. "Are you talking about Sumire?"

Emi nodded. "Who else would it be, sis?"

"It's been a while since I saw her. I would love to say hello."

"She asks how you are often when we talk. She's going to be so excited to come over."

"Don't tell me she's like those two girls that came over that one time." Kyo said, leaning his elbow on the table.

"There's nothing wrong with sis's friends. But to put you at ease, Sumire is normal."

Yuki smiled at her. "I look forward to meeting your friend."

"She feels the same way!" Emi couldn't wait to go to school to tell Sumire the news.

~•~

At school, Emi was at her seat, doodling a sketch. Looking up, she saw Sumire walking into the class. Getting up from her seat, she walked over to her friend. "Guess what?"

"What?"

"You can over tomorrow!"

Sumire smiled brightly. "Really?! I'm so excited! I finally get to meet the famous Sohmas!"

Emi laughed at her comment. "They're not really famous."

"I'm going to bring over my homemade goodies, so look forward to that!"

"Oh! I'm definitely looking forward to it!"

Walking over to her desk, Sumire noticed the sketch Emi was drawing. "Who are you drawing?"

Forgetting that she left it open, Emi quickly closed it, a blush on her face. "Nothing! Nothing at all!"

It seemed like Sumire realized something. "Wait... Is it someone you have on a crush on?!"

The blush on Emi's face deepened. "N-No! I don't... Have a crush on anyone!"

"You hesitated! You finally have a crush! Who is it?! Is it someone we know?!"

"Sumire..." It was so embarrassing to talk about this. In fact, she was still confused about how she felt. She wasn't sure if it was a crush. "I just met them, so..."

"Awww! Love at first sight! That's so sweet!"

"No it's not!" Hiding her face, Emi tried to get rid of the bright red blush on her face.