Chapter 7

At school, Emi was in the art room, working on her piece for the art exhibit

At school, Emi was in the art room, working on her piece for the art exhibit. She had an art smock which had quite a bit of paint on it. The brush on the canvas was moving so smoothly, the colors were vibrant.

"Hi Emi..." Turning her head, she saw a boy that was in her class. He wasn't even looking at her, he looked shy for some reason.

Setting the brush down, Emi gave him a smile. "Hey Mitsu. What are you doing in here?"

"I was, um... Looking for some paint brushes. I'm helping out with the art exhibit, so they wanted me to get some supplies in here."

"They're in that cabinet over there."

"Thank you. Are you making that for the art exhibit?"

"I am! I'm more than halfway done with it. I know it's still a while before it starts, but I want to get it done sooner than later."

"I-It looks really good so far. I hope that you'll win."

"I doubt that I would even rank. It doesn't hurt to try to participate. At the end of the day, it's all about having fun, you know?"

Mitsu started blushing. "Yeah... I agree with that."

"I'm going to work on this some more. Go ahead and take as many brushes you need."

"Thank you. I'll be on my way now." Quickly grabbing some brushes from the cabinet, Mitsu ran out of the room as fast as he could.

As he was exiting out of the room, Sumire entered the room. She could totally read the atmosphere. Walking over towards Emi, she was looking at the beautifully drawn painting she was creating. "Sounds like someone has a crush."

Emi stopped painting once more, blinking at her friend. "What are you talking about? I don't have a crush on him."

"I'm saying that he has a crush on you."

"Oh. I can kind of tell..." Emi awkwardly went back to painting.

"If he ever confesses to you, what will you say?"

Emi let out a sigh. "I hate to be that person, but I wouldn't want to be in a relationship with someone who I don't have feelings for. He's a sweet guy, but I don't feel the same way he feels towards me. I don't want to lead him on or lie to him."

Sumire nodded. "I understand that. Going out with someone out of pity is much worse than rejection."

"Yeah, and plus... I haven't experienced having a crush on anyone before."

"Trust me, it's the worst thing ever. I had a few crushes on guys in the past, but it always ends in heartbreak or realization that they're not who you think they were."

"That sounds scary."

Sumire started laughing. "Anyway, the painting is looking really good so far."