Chapter 19

School was getting out, the students would have a little trouble walking home

School was getting out, the students would have a little trouble walking home. More of the ones who forgot to bring an umbrella. The clouds were turning dark, assuming it was starting to sprinkle. A sign that it was going to rain pretty hard later.

"I'll see you later, Emi." Sumire said.

Emi gave her a fake smile, not wanting to worry her friend. "Yeah. See you." Watching Sumire walk away, Emi decided to stay for a bit. Taking out her iPod and headphones, Emi was escaping reality just for a little while.

After what has happened the other day, it felt like she couldn't look Momiji in the eye. It was her fault for making things awkward anyway. Maybe it was for the best. This could be a sign that it wasn't meant to be.

Letting out a sigh, Emi soon felt someone taking off one of the earbuds from her ears. "Hey. We called your name over three times already."

Looking over, Emi saw it was Hatsuharu. And Momiji. Averting her gaze, Emi sadly smiled. "Oh. Hey. Sorry about that. I didn't hear you."

"You've been acting off today. Why is that?"

Emi looked away while swallowing nervously. "The weather... Makes me like this."

"Cut the crap. Momiji told me what went down between the two of you the other day."

Emi grunted, feeling herself getting anxious. She saw Momiji bow his head in an apologetic way. "I'm really sorry for what I did yesterday. I didn't mean to make you cry."

Even if that was true, it was her fault for not telling him sooner. Getting up from her seat, Emi placed a hand on his shoulder. "You didn't make me cry. It just... Took me by surprise is all. I'm fine now, so... You don't have to worry about me anymore."

The tone of her voice didn't sound convincing. "But Emi, why did you-"

"I should be getting home now. I'll see you later."

The two boys watched Emi hurry out of the classroom. Momiji looked clueless and worried, not feeling convinced that Emi was actually fine. On the other hand, Hatsuharu knew exactly why she was feeling like that. He closed his eyes, letting out a sigh.

~•~

Walking home in the rain, Emi was holding an umbrella while listening to music. She hated that she was so awkward with Momiji right now. She had to come clean at some point.

Even if he has feelings for her sister, it felt like he has a right to know the reason why she cried. Because 'taken by surprise and being happy for you' wasn't cutting it.

Letting out a sigh, Emi saw Tohru, Kyo, and Yuki up ahead. For some reason, Kyo was holding the door closed.

Curiosity got the best of her, quickly walking up to the three. "Why is he doing that?"