star spangled man with a plan

Age 12, Hazel at school with Clara.

The school is still buzzing about New York and the avengers even though it's been almost a year.
In their eyes, Hulk is the most incredible, Tony is a hero for sacrificing himself by going into the worm hole. Even though he survived.

But everyone goes crazy over Captain America, I have to bite my tongue when people are like 'he's so adorable! I wish I could meet him' blah blah bleh.

Me and Steve have grown close, I'm getting used to calling him dad. I rarely call him steve except in my own brain.

I hopped off the bus and walked inside to my locker. I didn't have my locker decorated like other girls had theirs, just my books and a picture of my class on picture day. Now picture day is a whole other story.

The PA came on to say the morning announcements but instead of the normal chipper sunshine girl a song started to play.

'Who's strong and brave, here to save the American Way?'

It sounded old, like I could hear static in the song. I ignored it and ran up to Clara. "Hey what's going on?" I asked.

"Oh you know Mary? Well found a old video on YouTube of it showed her an old video and it was a musical number, Captain America's in it." She explained.

"No way." My dropped.

'From Hoboken to Spokane
The Star Spangled Man with a Plan!'

It continued to play. I wanted to throw myself into traffic. "Uh I'm not feeling well." I lied. "I'm going to the nurse." I waved bye.

If I hear this song anymore I will surely die.

                              •   •   •
I'm sure dad is busy with shield so I walked home. I would probably get in trouble for it but who cares. I don't want to hear that song again.

I pulled out my key for the house and walked in, Dad was at the table. Huh I was sure he was working.

My eyes widened and I slowly closed the door and tip toed behind a wall. Shit if he sees me I'm screwed.

I took a step and the floor creaked.

I heard the chair slide back. He heard me. Yep this is it. Oh hazel play it as your sick.

I stuck my head out of the wall and pretended to cough. "What are you doing home?" He was walking towards were I was and stopped when I popped my head out.

"I uh I wasn't feeling well." Now I forgot that I'm half super solider, I never get sick. But he doesn't know that.

He put his hand on my forehead. "You feel fine." He paused and looked at me. "How did you get home?"

"I uh..I thought you would be busy so I walked." I couldn't lie my way out of that one.

"Hazel I told you, no walking home-" he started.  "I know I know" I paused. I can't pretend to be sick I'm a horrible lier.

"Okay I lied. So I got to school and everyone was everywhere and then the normal sunshine sparkle girl wasn't doing announcements but a song was playing and it sounded old because of the static then I spotted Clara..you know my friend and she said the music was from this popular girl named Mary's who found an old video on YouTube and it was girls singing about a star spangled man with a plan and then it was from the WW2 times, and uh she said captain America was in it...." I ranted.

He stood there really confused. "But-"

"I'm not done! So everyone was going crazy like I said and I got sick of that song so I told Clara I wasn't feeling well and I always feel well because you know super soldier stuff yada yada yada yada. I went to the nurse and pretended to be sick then got the note." I handed it to him. "And then I walked home and I was going to pretend again to be sick but I'm a horrible lier..."

I smiled awkwardly.

We just looked at each other for a second before he spoke. "Okay what."

"You want me to explain again okay so I went to schoo-" I began again.

"No I mean, they still have that film?"

"What film?"

"Oh god."

                                 •   •   •

We sat on the couch and I held up his phone.

'Who's strong and brave, here to
save the American way?'

"What the hell are you wearing?" I started laughing so hard. The phone was shaking in my hand.

"Who's fighting to keep you safe at home?" Younger Steve roger spoke on the video.

I put the phone down and continued laughing, tears falling from my face.

"Yeah you'll never live that down." I snorted.

He put his phone in his pocket. "You're grounded for skipping."

I continued laughing.

"Totally worth it."