father daughter dance

(Before the events of winter solider, she's in middle school.)

The last bell rang and I hurried to the bus but before I exited the building two girls handing out flyers stopped me.

"Hi! You look you would come to the father daughter dance we have planned this Friday." She handed me a flyer.

"Uh no I'm really busy, and my father works." I replied. "Oh well, think about it, we got food and soda." Oh food she says?

I tucked the flyer into my bag "I'll think about it." I said and walked to the bus.

                           •   •   •
I walked inside, Dad wasn't home yet. He's probably will be home to make dinner.

I put my bag on the table, took out my homework for later and walked to the kitchen. "Okay what snack shall I eat today." I pulled out some Oreos and milk from the fridge.

I sat down in the living room, turned on the tv to  Disney channel and watched some suite life of Zack and Cody. I love this show.

I finished my snack but I continued to watch my show. I laughed at something London said.

After another twenty minutes I heard the door open. I sat up but it was just dad coming in.

"Hey." I greeted him. He wasn't wearing his suit but his shield was in his bag. "Hey." He But his bag down by the door and hanged up his jacket. "Did you do your homework?" He asked me.

"Not yet, I got here like 30 minutes ago." I looked at the clock and walked over to the table to do my homework. I moved a bunch of papers but they flew off the table. Dang it.

I started picking them up but dad just picked up a pink piece of paper. "What's this?" It was the father daughter dance invite.

"Oh it's a thing the school has every year I think." I replied and grabbed a pencil. "Why don't we go?" He sat across from me. "Well one. My school is obsessed with the avengers, they would recognize you in a flash and two. I don't know how to dance." I started doing my history homework.

"I have a nice pair of glasses and a fedora. We'll go." He stood up and walked to the kitchen.

I smiled. He wanted to spend time with me. I quickly began on my homework.

                               •   •   •

A couple days passed and Friday was here. I walked around school. Some girls were excited and some didn't care because they think a father daughter dance is cheesy. I'm lucky to have a parent and he's also a busy superhero so I'll take any time I can get.

As soon as the last bell rang and I immediately grabbed my books, put them in my bag and ran out of the class room.

Clara tried to stop and say something to me but I yelled back "Can't talk! I have to get home!"

I was so excited. I dashed to the bus, I could barely keep all my excitement in on the ride home.

As soon as I saw my stop I jumped up and was first to run off the bus.

I went up the stairs so quickly that I tumbled but I pushed myself back up and I opened the door.

I saw his shoes by the door so he was definitely home. I couldn't keep the smile off my face.

"How was school?" He was working on something at the table, looks like he was doodling.

"Very long, they had us do some pacer test in gym." I put my back back on the table and pulled out my homework.

Dad stopped me. "You have all weekend to do your homework."

He always wants me to do my homework but I'm not complaining. I put it back into my bag and pulled out my art book instead.

We both did our art in silence until I broke it. "My art teacher is nice, she has us do more then finger painting." I continued the drawing of the front of my school.

"She said in a few weeks we are going to create sculptures." I looked for my favorite shade of dark red but it was gone.

As if he read my mind he opened his small pencil case and handed me the shade I wanted. He smiled and stood up. "Isn't the dance in forty-five minutes?"

I moved to start drawing in the red but I put it down. "Oh shit you're right." I ran to my room.

"What did I say about the language?" He yelled from other room.

"Sorry!" I yelled back and pulled out the nicest pair of pants I had and put them on along with a yellow top.

"Okay I'm ready" I walked out and went to grab my white shoes.

He took one look at my pants "absolutely not." He was putting away his art stuff.

"What? It's comfortable!" I put my hands up.

"It's a dance Hazel, I know you have dresses." He turned and looked at me.

"But- ugh fine!" I huffed and walked back to my room.

I looked in my closet for a good five minutes before I pulled out a baby blue dress.

I put it on and fixed my hair then walked out

I put it on and fixed my hair then walked out. "Better?" I stretched my arms out.

He smiled. "That's a beautiful dress." He was already dressed.

I slipped on my white vans but before he could protest I stopped him. "I put a dress on, do not push it."

He rolled his eyes and put on some glasses. "Yep, you look like a nerd." I waited by the door.

"And you look like Cinderella."

                              •   •   •
We walked into my school, the dance was in the gym but before I could turn Clara ran up and hugged me.

"Hazel you made it!" She gave a giggly laugh and looked at my dad.

"Oh You're hazel dad!" She put her hand out to shake his. Clara's dad was behind her.

They all gave handshakes and we headed into the gym.

I spotted the snack table and b-lined straight for it. Dad was following me.

They had homemade cinnamon rolls and I was excited. I took like five and I tried to get more but dad stopped me.

We sat on the bleachers eating the cinnamon rolls and when we finished he turned to me in a badly spoken British accent. "Shall we dance milady."

I laughed and grabbed his arm, him to where the other fathers and daughters were dancing.

We goofily danced around. The other fathers and daughters were all serious.

I smiled.

This is all I ever wanted.

A loving father.