ice skating

New York, Christmas 2014

It took me two solid weeks to convince my dad to let me go ice skating at the rink with my class.

It was more of an after school thing where my classmates wanted to meet up. He just had his argument about how I'd get hurt but we both know that's not the reason.

He came along to 'chaperone' and it annoys me. Other parents don't hover like he does but I can't really do anything about it.

I tied my skates and stood up almost falling over but I gripped the sides of the railing.

Most of them were already out skating around and this is my first time.

"Okay so you're gonna wanna ease onto the ice." Peter held my elbows and helped me put my first foot on the ice.

"I hate ice." I said and held onto him for dear life.

"Well that's explanatory." He said and helped me fully onto the ice, away from the railing.

I looked like a baby chicken flailing around. I giggled a bit and Peter just offered his hand instead of me gripping onto his for dear life.

I took his hand and we slid around. He's my best friend and this is why, he helps me if I need it and vice versa- I tripped over but Peter held my arms.

"Thanks my dude, I would've hated to take that tumble there."

"I'll alway be here to catch you..." his voice trailed off for a second. "Your dad is burning holes through my skull."

"He hates any teenage male that comes within three feet of me despite me telling him many many times that you're my best friend and that it's okay for you to be a boy."

I glanced at him and he had his arms crossed with his eyebrow look.

"Anyway, come on I got the hang of it." I grabbed his hand again and skated onwards.