fatherhood

The day after the New York battle through Steve's eyes.

I have no idea what I'm doing, I've never raised a kid and I barely understand ladies let alone an eleven year old girl.

She's very bright and seem to always make jokes even in the worst situations, yesterday proved it.

she's definitely my kid though, my stubbornness and all. She even looks like me I'm surprised I didn't realize it sooner.

After some goodbyes to the other avengers and a quick motorcycle ride we arrived at my apartment. Luckily it was far away from the destruction.

Hazel followed me, holding her backpack. She doesn't have much. Fury said she awoken from her ice merely months ago. I only glanced at her file before but a lot of stuff was crossed out. I know why now. They tried to hide her from me.

Still angry about that.

I unlocked the door and opened it. I walked in and set down my bag. She just slowly walked in and kept to herself. She wasn't shy before she sure is now.

It's probably weird for her. Being alone in shield then being here with me.

Shield should've told me the moment they found her. I could've taken the news.

"Uh, it's getting late so I'll make us dinner and then it'll be a good idea to get some sleep." I said.

I didn't have a spare room but it's okay because shield is moving me to a different state soon. Hazel will be coming along.

She silently walked over to the couch, set down her bag and then sat down...she looked upset.

I stopped what I was doing and sat down next to her.

"I know you haven't gotten the chance to talk to me since what's been going on...but I'll listen to you."

There was silence for a bit.

She sniffed and spoke with a whisper. "Do you even want me?"

My heart broke.

"Of course I do, I'm so proud to know that you exist. I've only known you for a little bit now but I will never let you go nor will I let anything hurt you." I spoke.

"I never had a father before." She said messing with her nails.

"And I never had a daughter before but I think it's all gonna be okay. We both gotta learn new things." I chuckled

She laughed a bit. "I used to sit on the balcony after Peggy went to bed and wish that my dad was here. Turns out you were just chilling in ice."

"I always wanted a family, I'm happy to have you, kid." I nudged her shoulder.

She smiled, she has my smile.

I'm not alone anymore either.