pool party

In between winter solider and age of ultron, summer time.

I got off the bus that dropped me off a block away from the avengers tower, I noticed in the newspaper as i was passing by that the headline - 'Tony Stark's annual party, will be host it now that he's an avenger?'

I rolled my eyes, Tony doesn't go crazy like he used to according to Natasha. I've heard all the stories, some I wish I didn't hear.

If this party happens I'll just stay in my room the whole time and watch television. Dad will probably do the same but he's more of a reader then a movie watcher.

I took the elevator up to me and dad's small floor, by small I mean huge.

I got my own mini fridge and the food never stays stocked because I inhale it when I get home, always

Thank god for my super serum, if not I would definitely have diabetes.

I noticed Tony talking to dad in the living room and flung my heavy backpack that was full of books to the ground and flopped on the couch.

"When does she leave for college?" Tony started to pick on me.

I didn't look up from the pillow but I gave him the middle finger. "I'm thirteen you iron rat." I said but it was muffled in the pillow.

"Anyway, Steve this party is work related, we could get some powerful people on our side when we need it also it's just fun. You should let lose spangles." He patted Dad's arm.

"Hazel I'll fill up a kiddie pool for you, hows that sound?" He joked.

No one but me and Natasha knows that I hate water, I can't swim well at all. I did have to swim a few months ago during the fall of hydra and shield to save my life but I almost drowned.

"Sure, make sure you have enough room for your ego." I fired back and got up. I'm feeling hungry.

"Hey dad since I'm not attending this stupid party. Can my friend Betty sleepover to study and maybe we'll watch a movie during it so I'm not alone?" I pulled out a bag of chips but Dad took it out of my hand and replaced it with an apple.

"That's okay with me." He said, the then turned to Steve. "I'll attend but just for business and work. Not fun."

"Fine, it's settled then." Tony waved and walked to the elevator.

"You're making dinner." I said and walked over to my room, I snuck the bag of chips I hid under my shirt and tossed the apple in the trash.

• • •
"And this is the living room! I would show you the whole place but to be honest I don't really leave this floor much so I would get lost." I showed Betty around.

"Woah, this whole floor is bigger then my house." She looked around in awe.

"Wanna watch a movie? I don't feel like studying right now." I flopped myself down on couch and crisscrossed my legs.

"Sure." She put her bags down and sat next to me.

I handed her the remote. "Go ahead and pick, I'll make us some popcorn-" I was about to get up when i heard a Big Bang.

"What the hell-" I jumped up, noticing lights outside.

"Fireworks!" She pointed.

Of course Tony had to be extra.

"Can we go outside and watch them?" She asked me.

"Sure why the hell not, come on." I motioned for her to follow and I headed to the open area.

Now the only real open area is where the pool Is...where everyone is but it's fine.

"Yeah the party thing is going on right now so just stay away from the annoying adults." I muttered and we walked over to the side, a few people were around, dripping wet from the pool.

Betty had her eyes glued on the fireworks but I was uncomfortable about the body of water that was close. I never come out here for that reason.

I looked around and spotted Dad chatting with Natasha. He seems to be happy.

Soon after they ended and me and Betty started walking away.

"Sorry excuse me." I moved to get around some drunk people but one stumbled and fell into the pool.

He grabbed onto my arm and took me into the pool with him.

Yeah, I can't swim.

I tried to inhale but it's not air, it's water.

My legs moved like a little deer walking for the first time and my arms flailed like a ugly duckling.

I wasn't underwater for long before two arms grabbed me and pulled me up.

My lungs gasped for air and I noticed it was Natasha holding my head up and Dad stood on the edge and lifted me out of the water fully.

I coughed and spit up some water and hot tears ran down my face. I'm not sad but it's like choking to death.

"Are you okay hazel?" Betty patted my back.

"I can't swim." My voice was hoarse, my clothes that are now wet was dripping all the over the deck.

Natasha got out of the water and helped me get up. "I got her Steve, come on Betty." Natasha grabbed a nearby towel and wrapped it around my shoulders and walked me back inside.

"I didn't know you couldn't swim, everyone can really." Betty muttered, trying to cheer me up I guess.

"I hate swimming." I said softly.

Natasha walked me and Betty to my room and then I quickly changed into warm pajamas. Natasha also had to go change but she came right back.

"You want come hot chocolate?" Natasha walked over to the kitchen and turned on the stove to place a kettle down.

I nodded and Betty picked a movie.

Dad walked in he was kinda wet from pulling me out of the water so I'm guessing he's gonna change.

"You okay now tiger?" He stopped before he went into his room.

I gave him a smile. "Yes, I promise."

It's 3am, take my computer away from me please.