ĸιм naмjoon

If this may sound a little off to read for you, the reason may be because I've written it in first person's point of view. I'm not really used to writing it that way. :D

ⓢⓣⓐⓡⓣ

I check the time on my phone while I lay still on my bed. A clear half-full glass is standing near the top of my head. It took me a lot of trial and error to keep the glass standing above my head. And by that, I mean I have to surround the glass with a blanket to keep it at bay.

11: 30 pm

It's almost time. I have to sleep before 12 am strikes, or all of this will mean nothing.

I put my phone beside my head and closed my eyes. Sleep isn't really taking over me anytime soon, so I settle to thinking about the whole circumstance. I ask myself why am I even doing this in the first place.

What makes me think that my 60 year-old college professor's superstitious belief is true?

That putting a heart-shaped leaf or making a heart-shaped paper cut-out (if you happen to not get ahold of a heart-shaped leaf, which in my case, I don't have-- so I had to DIY) in a half-empty glass at 12 midnight in Valentine's day will magically allow me to meet my soulmate in my dream?

Heck, I don't even believe in the concept of soulmates. I don't believe that there's someone out there predestined for me. That there's one person out of the billions who's destined for me and only me.

What I do think is, our lives are determined by our decisions, and the availability of our choices decreases the probability of having an infinity of possible outcomes. For example, I can be with person A or person B or even anyone. But I can't be with person A because of certain variables such as:

a.) They're out of my league
b.) They don't like me
c.) I don't like them
d.) Our age gap
e.) Differences
f.) Sexual preference
g.) Demographics

That decreases my chance of being with anyone.

Okay, I'm gonna stop there before I even work myself up over thinking about the infinities. I don't want to fully wake up in excitement.

Anyway, according to my professor, her high school teacher told their class about that certain superstition. My professor said, she met her soulmate in her dream after she did the "ritual." But the problem was, she can't remember what her soulmate looked like. She could only remember what her soulmate wore in her dream. The day she first met her soulmate, her soulmate was wearing the same clothes they're wearing in her dream.

I have to admit that it's cute. Although I'm not actually doing this to meet my "soulmate," if ever it was real-- though that doesn't necessarily mean I believe my professor now, I just want to give her the benefit of the doubt.

I just have to do it whether it's real or not. Though there's a possibility that I'll probably grab my hair in embarrassment when I wake up because I made a fool of myself for doing this. But I'll spare that thought for tomorrow. Plus, it won't hurt if I try, right?

I feel sleep itself tugging me, taking me away from complete wakefulness.

Before I completely fall asleep, I said the magic words.

"Please show me my Valentine."

I'm alone. I look around me.