Chapter 25

Now

Amanda Waller walks down the short corridor, her files in hand with a tight smile on her face as she makes her way to her team. Flag is the first to stand to attention when she walks into the atrium to greet her men, the others follow immediately and she gives a nod and Flag signals the men to be at ease.

She smiles curtly at Flag's respect for her, Waller was never a fan of friendship, her career always came first, but Flag and she had gotten close.

At 19, when she discovered she wanted a career in the government, she paid to surgically ensure that she could never have children, she considered them liabilities. However, even though Flag was 33 years old, he still had a sort of boyish charm in his eyes, that made him look like he was fresh out of college.

He was an Asian young man with jet black hair and a square jaw, and very handsome.

She'd sort of taken him under her wing and in working with him for so many years, he'd become a sort of phantom son. She'd grown fond of him, and he felt the same, so she made sure he was assigned to her infantry because this mission was the most important one yet. She walks up to the small podium and eyes her team of twenty of A.R.G.U.S. had to offer,

"We have only one objective tonight. Retrieve my Sirens. It took us three years to locate that damn book, and now we've got three days to retrieve it before Ra's is fully resurrected and moves it again.

Once my team is retrieved, we move forward immediately, there is zero chance of failure, under any circumstances, if we lose, the government loses, and as long as I'm here, that...will never...happen,"

The men look to her, hanging on her every word as she continues,

"There are criminals, dangerous and powerful. You are supposedly the best we have so you better prove yourselves damn good at your job. Use necessary force to detain them, but they must be brought in alive and unharmed.

We need them at full strength to undergo their first active mission. Failure is NOT an option. Understood,"

"Ma'am, yes, Ma'am," they answer in unison, speaking with militarized precision.

"We will succeed and we will retrieve that Book, and when we do, the U.S. government will remain the most powerful superpower in the world. No metahuman, no witch, and no army would dare stand against us.

Ra's may be afraid to use the full extent of what that Book is capable of, the U.S. army fears nothing, we never fear power, we take it and utilize it, don't we?"

"Ma'am, yes, ma'am."

"72 hours starting tonight. 72 hours to Make America Unstoppable. You have your mission. See it through," she finishes.

Ma'am, yes, ma'am."

Flag leads his men from the atrium and they drive off to get the place in order for her Sirens to arrive. She knew they'd be gone until tonight, so she had time to prepare for the coming arrival. She smiled as she walked back inside, in her now, much larger office.

Due to her assistance in incapacitating Ra's in the first place by enlisting Chato Santana to eliminate him, her bosses gave her a nice raise and leagues more clearance. She had no idea the extent of Chato's pyrokinetic abilities, and their effectiveness in taking down someone as powerful as Ra's.

Unfortunately for her, when Chato unleashed the full extent of his abilities on Ra's, he was killed in the process and now that Ra's had been partially resurrected by his followers, they had nothing standing in the way of Ra's becoming fully empowered again.