Chapter 26

"Hazel is in a coma." Her broken voice burned with pain and emptiness. "Jessica is dead." The news shocked me with an electric wire. "Hazel is unconscious right now and I'm waiting on Dr.Pen to tell me more about her condition." The tone in her words was the meaning of sadness.  I was hurt but lucky that Hazel was still alive.

Waffle. My dear Waffle. Get better, please. Get better.

A wise man used to say The more people you love, the weaker you are. I've realized that the person was right. A few weeks ago, I didn't care about Hazel. I didn't care if she was dead or alive but everything changed. Hazel was the best thing in my life and I didn't want anything bad to happen to her. I blamed myself for her condition. It was all my fault. I was selfish. I should've known that Jessica only came to the house to kill her. I should've known.

Why do bad things always happen to good people?

Maybe bad people too. Jessica.

The hospital was full of nurses, doctors. They were running back and forth. Some of them were answering emergency calls, making appointments and helping some patients through the phone. I never met my mother but my father used to say that she was a nurse. She took care of so many people. I never had that opportunity to visit a hospital before. My father made sure of that. I used to be sick in bed, He used to pay doctors to visit me instead. My father was rich, of course, but he forbade me to go to the hospital. My secret was the only thing that he cared about the most. He wanted to protect me from so many bad things. 

I still don't know what they are.

"Hawk?" Mrs.Maria interrupted my thoughts. "You can go home. Rest and you can come back tomorrow at first sight." She sighed. "You look tired."

"I'm not tired." I lied. "I want to stay here, Mrs. Maria. I want to hear what the doctor has to say." My tone was far from happiness.

"Dean will stay here, Hawk." She insisted. "You're out of energy and your friend looks very tired." He mentioned Jack beside me. "I'm not sure I met you before. What's your name?"

"His name is Jack." I didn't give Jack a chance to say anything. "Jack Walter. He used to go to the same school as me. My childhood friend."

"Nice to meet you, Jack." She glanced at him. "Jack, your parents are probably worried about you. I don't want you to be in trouble. You can go home and rest. I really appreciate your company. Thank you so much for your time." She thanked him for staying by my side.

"You're welcome, Ma'am," Jack responded in a respectful tone. "Don't mention it. I really hope your daughter gets better."

Jack lost his sister when he was seventeen. His little sister had cancer. He really understood the pain. It wasn't easy for him to get over it but he decided that she's in a better place now. It was time for him to move on with his life. It was the best decision according to him but I knew deep down that he still thinks about her day and night. He was still hurt by her absence.

Losing someone is the worst fear in the entire world. The pain never goes away. Their memories are still hunting us. They say time heals the pain but I still don't agree. Time makes things better but the pain is always going to be there in your heart. It teaches you lessons. It makes you a better person. It moves you forward like a clock.

Death is your worst enemy.

 "Hawk?" Jack pulled me to the side. "I'm leaving. Are you going to stay here?" He asked me as he squeezed his hand on my right shoulder to comfort me. "She will get better, Bro." He sighed. "I promise."

"I'm scared, Jack," I admitted. "I want to hug her and kiss her so badly. I just want to see her, man." My broken tone was whispering fears in my voice. "What if she doesn't wake up?"