Chapter 58

"A few days ago, I had an accident." She explained. "I was taking a shower and you were downstairs with Jack. I slipped and I fell over my stomach. At first, I thought it was a normal fall but a few hours later, blood started to run down my thighs. Headaches, backaches, and cramps." She placed both of her hands on her belly as she locked her eyes into mine, trying to steal my full attention. "My body started to act funny, I lost my appetite and depression took over. I wanted to tell you, I swear but I was scared. I didn't want to take away your happiness. You were already going through a lot."

So what? So what, Hazel? Why did you hide it from me?

The truth matters.

"You should've told me." I blamed her. "It was my baby, after all. I was a father, and it was also my responsibility to take care of you and the baby. I failed you."

"It's my fault. I'm so sorry..." She exclaimed, silently. "You have the right to hate me but I'm truly sorry, babe."

"Stop apologizing, and It's not your fault." I tried to comfort her. "Accidents happen. That's how life is." I enveloped her with a tight hug. "Come here..." I felt her warm tears, dripping on my shirt. "Everything is going to be okay." I wiped out her tears.

"I don't feel good." Her lazy eyes flashed my view with a warning. She was tired. She needed sleep and it was obvious. "Please, stay with me. I don't want to fall asleep alone."

"I want to stay, Princess." I sighed. "I do but, I can't." I declined. "Jack and I are on our way to the cemetery."

"Cemetery?" She questioned my last sentence. "What are you going to do at the cemetery?Hawk, it's three in the morning. It's late. Can't you just stay home with me? You can go with him first thing in the morning. I want you to stay, please." She begged so much sympathy in her broken voice.

"I can't stay," I replied, sincerely. "I'll be back in a few hours, Princess." I slowly caressed her soft cheeks. "I promise." I kissed her lips, then her small forehead as I walked out of the room.

"Okay." She finally agreed. "What if I can't fall asleep?" She called out.

"Call me..."I gave her an option. "If you can't sleep. Call me and I'll stay on the phone with you."

"Okay, babe. Be safe."

Hazel was in pain. Her voice was wet with tears. The situation was killing me inside. I wanted to stay by her side, comfort her, tell her everything was going to be just fine but Jack was in danger and I also wanted to be there for him. Hazel was the love of my life but Jack my best friend and my only blood. I didn't want anything to happen to him.

Or Hazel.

I remember the first time, I met Hazel Brown. Her innocent face drove me crazy. She was my only white bird, the only sweet melody I wanted to hear. She was acting so brave but deep down, I knew her hidden weaknesses. She was broken and needed someone to fix her. She never had the courage to tell me the truth but I read her inner self the first time we had a conversation. The first time she smiled, I saw something more beautiful than the stars.

She was trouble. Really. She really was.

But her smile...

Her beautiful smile dared me to fall in love with her.

I was going crazy on my own. I was craving her presence every single day and was addicted to her soft skin and her sexy lips.

Hazel Brown might have her flaws but I'll do anything to keep her safe. Even if I have to lose my last breath saving her.

                                                                               ****

"Earth to lover boy!" Jack chased my thoughts away. "Hazel will be fine, Buddy." He assured me. "I'm sorry for your baby." Jack was also hurt. He was trying to focus on the road but he was dying inside, slowly.