frozen in time (and maybe in fear)

Prompt by gbuckner5

(for the purpose of this oneshots we shall pretend draco's birthday is after harry's)

((we're also pretending harry's birthday happens while he's in school))

(((about four sentences in you'll probably realize why)))

Harry should have been excited for his eighteenth birthday. 

Ron and Hermione had both already had theirs, and of course, they had been soulmates.

The idea almost made Harry sick. On his birthday, everyone in the world would freeze in time for an hour, and him and his soulmate (Ginny) would be the only ones conscious. It seemed almost creepy, and he would have to do it again for her eighteenth birthday next year.

"Are you excited?" Ginny asked as she hopped up to him. "What should we do for our hour?"

"I dunno," Harry replied dully, not looking at her.

"I think we should go ice skating!"

"It's hot out."

"We can charm the Great Lake to freeze, probably. Why don't you research how to do that?"

"Mkay."

She skipped along next to him. "Ice skating is so romantic!"

"Mhm."

"Or, you know what? Maybe we should have a picnic next to the lake and watch the mermaids swim."

"The mermaids will be frozen. Just like everyone else."

"Hm. We could just sit down and talk a bit about our future and all that, yeah?"

"Sure."

"Maybe we could do that after ice skating, and then we can Apparate to a field of flowers and we can pick flowers!"

"Mhm."

"Oh, Harry, doesn't it sound lovely? We can go ice skating and discuss our lives together and pick flowers, oh it'll be wonderful!"

"Sounds great."

She twirled on one foot, kissing his cheek with a bright smile on her face. "I'll see you later, babe!"

"Yeah, bye Ginny."

She skipped away brightly. Harry sighed, dropping his bags and leaning against the wall, shoulder blades digging into cold stone. He tipped his head back, hitting it against the wall and letting his eyes close.

"Alright, Potter?" a soft voice murmured. 

He opened his eyes slowly, only to close them again at the sight of platinum hair. He slid down the wall, sitting with his head resting back against the stone. 

"Fuck off."

"I'm being serious. Are you okay?"

He stiffened with shock. "That's none of your concern, Malfoy."

"Look, it's just you and me. Everyone else already went to class. I'm not mocking you, I'm not making fun of you. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine."

There was a soft rustling, and then there was a warm body next to him, arm pressed against his own.

"I know your birthday's coming up. Are you worried that Ginny isn't your soulmate?"

Harry tensed at the words echoing his own thoughts. "No."

"Okay." Slight movement, and the warm arm that wrapped around Harry's shoulders shocked him into complete silence. "I'm here if you want to talk."