and upon that day, i knew i loved you

Prompt by CuteLittleMousie

Draco Malfoy, age 11, wondering who that little boy is and why he can't stop staring at him, only to find out the boy is none other than Harry Potter, and Harry Potter hates him.

Draco Malfoy, age 12, pretending not to notice as "Crabbe's" hair starts turning red and "Goyle's" scar starts to show, laughing to himself that they could really think he is the Heir.

Draco Malfoy, age 13, trying not to think about how incredible Harry looks as he flies atop the hippogriff.

Draco Malfoy, age 14, panicking when Harry takes his shirt off for the second task and Draco realizes how attractive he looks. He stops himself from asking Harry to the ball, reminding himself that Harry hates him.

Draco Malfoy, age 15, stomach sinking when  he sees the shocked, angry look on Harry's face when they burst into the Room of Hidden Things, Umbridge shouting. He wants to write the boy over the summer and apologize, but when he hears that Harry's godfather died, he decides to give him space.

Draco Malfoy, age 16, pretending not to notice Harry following him all year, deluding himself into thinking it's because Harry likes him back, but he knows that's not true when he's atop the Astronomy Tower with his wand pointed at Dumbledore, because he knows even though he can't see the boy, he's there, he's always where trouble is. He can't imagine how awful Harry feels when Snape shouts the fatal words, and Draco feels his heart drop when he realizes that Dumbledore is dead and Harry hates him more than ever.

Draco Malfoy, age 17, whispering "I don't know, I can't be sure," even though he damn well knows those stunning eyes, which widen slightly at the words, because Harry knows, Harry knows that Draco recognizes him. Even with the circumstances, this may be the most beautiful moment in the words, because Harry sees that he's not all bad. He holds onto this image of Harry until the words "Harry Potter is dead!" ring through the courtyard. Draco numbly joins the Death Eaters, because without Harry, nothing matters. Until it does again.

Draco Malfoy, age 18, writing a letter of thanks to Harry Potter, because he can't face him and talk to him about the trial without Harry knowing the feelings Draco harbors for him. Draco's a coward and he hates himself for it, but there's nothing he can do.

Draco Malfoy, age 19, eyes wide as he runs into Harry Potter at the Ministry, and he can't bring himself to speak, because there are too many words to say and too many feelings to say them, so Draco just looks away and leaves, hating himself more with every step.

Draco Malfoy, age 20, finally managing to whisper the words "I'm gay" to Pansy, who grabs him and pulls him in for the tightest hug he's ever experienced, and tells him it's okay and she supports him no matter what.

Draco Malfoy, age 21, pressed against the wall of a Muggle club, lips locked with a messy haired stranger in an attempt to forget about a certain boy with the greenest eyes he's ever seen and the most beautiful smile that has never been directed towards him.

Draco Malfoy, age 22, laughing as he helps Hermione Granger with her paperwork, brushing off her thanks with that's what friends are for, Granger, now shut up and let me help you, or I'm requesting a different partner.

Draco Malfoy, age 23, finding himself unable to breathe when Hermione confronts him about why he's always single, and only shakes his head, unable to speak. He's beyond grateful when she doesn't push it.

Draco Malfoy, age 24, breaking his 3-year clean streak of no panic attacks when he reads in the Daily Prophet that Harry Potter is engaged to Blaise Zabini. Hermione doesn't ask what his panic attack is about, doesn't mention the crumpled newspaper on the ground, and Draco doesn't mention that he knows she read the headline.

Draco Malfoy, age 25, feeling like he's gotten his first real breath of air in a year when he reads about the cancellation of Harry Potter's wedding. He doesn't ask Hermione why she's so close to Blaise lately, doesn't ask why they broke it off, but he does listen when Hermione tells Parvati Patil that Harry and Blaise weren't really in love and that she did them a favor. He buys Hermione chocolates and leaves them on her desk, and she doesn't ask why, just flashes him a smile.

Draco Malfoy, age 26, finding himself unable to breathe yet again when Harry Potter grabs his arm in the middle of Diagon Alley, and says how he's been thinking about Draco a lot lately and was wondering if he's like to join Harry for dinner.

Draco Malfoy, age 27, finding himself more content than ever in waking up in his bed to the feeling of Harry next to him, leg curled against his own.