Time and Time Again (I Run To You)

this is a bit of a different style than i usually write in, but i wanted to try it

this bitch is 17,474 words

Harry really wanted to have a normal day.

God, did he want to have a normal day.

He deserved a normal day. Not even four months ago, he had fought in a war, and even with extensive therapy, he was still trying to cope with everything.

And yet here he stood, looking Tom Riddle right in the eyes, four months after he had killed him.

Back up. Reverse. Rewind. We're gonna take this back to exactly an hour before Harry found himself looking at Tom Riddle right in the middle of the Great Hall.

"Yes, Hermione, I'm fine."

Hermione scowled. "I was checking up on you, Harry. It's what friends do."

"You were there, Hermione, and you're still in therapy. He was in the middle of it, he's obviously not doing great," Ron muttered.

"Shut up, Ron," Hermione snapped. "Nobody asked you."

"Well that's a twist, isn't it?" Ron asked sarcastically. "Because usually it's you giving your input when nobody wants it!"

"I wish you two would go back to when you used to snog each other," Harry mumbled.

"Well, we can't have that, can we?" Hermione said, voice rising. "Because Ron's 'not ready for a relationship'!"

"My brother died in front of me, forgive me if I'm not in the right headspace for a relationship-"

"I wanted to be there for you, and you pushed me away!"

"I wanted to be alone!"

"That's not healthy! I read that-"

"Trauma isn't as easy as words on a page, Hermione!"

"It could be, if you would just let me help!"

Harry huffed irritably. "Would you two shut up!?"

"Why don't you just leave, then!" Ron shouted.

"Oh, like you did in the forest?" Harry shot back.

"I apologized, like, eighty times!"

"You only apologized twice," Hermione added.

"Hermione, for Merlin's sake, do you ever shut up?"

Harry didn't wait for the answer to that question. Instead, he shoved open the compartment door and slammed it behind him as he stepped out, searching for a different compartment.

It didn't take long to find Ginny, Neville, and Luna. Ginny was asleep on Neville's shoulder. Luna was watching her with soft eyes, and Neville had an arm lightly wrapped around the redhead's shoulders, his other hand holding Luna's.

"Hello," Harry murmured.

Luna nodded silently. Harry missed her voice.

"Any Nargles near me?" he asked, trying to keep the mood light.

Luna didn't seem to hear him, her eyes moving from Ginny to the window.

Neville's fingers were unconsciously twisting and untwisting in Ginny's long hair. "What are Hermione and Ron doing?"