prologue

____

____

A LARGE WOLF RAN THROUGH THE WOODS WITH LIGHT BROWN FUR. Three more wolves followed her, running on their hind legs. The wolf jumped over a log and came across a large house in the middle of the woods.

The wolf walked over to a bush and the three other werewolves came into view. They heard bones cracking and Avery Quinn stood up. She grabbed the clothes by the bush and got dressed.

She wiped the blood from her lip and looked at her friends who were also shifting back. Avery cleared her throat and walked to the front door. "Hurry up, will you?" Lilith asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

Avery rolled her eyes and opened the door, "Ahem, get dressed, losers." Avery said as her naked friends walked past her. Avery shut the door and the three remaining werewolves put their robes around them.

Avery walked over to the small bar and poured herself a drink. Avery took a sip and Randall stared at her suspiciously. "What?" Avery asked.

"Oh, nothing." Randall replied.

Avery raised an eyebrow at him, she shook her head and took another sip from her drink. She walked over and sat down next to Randall. "Spill." She said softly.

"I defiantly saw you eyeing Mr. Hamish." Randall replied softly. Avery sighed. She poured the rest of her drink over his lap. Randall groaned loudly causing Hamish and Lilith to look in his direction.

"Suck my non-existent dick." Avery spat at Randall, then smiled sweetly at him. She stood up and walked away, leaving her glass on the counter as she left. "That was cold!" Randall yelled, he put his hands over his crotch, "And very....very cold."

----

Avery sat alone in the basement, flipping through a book.

'What're you doing?' A voice asked in her head. Avery rolled her eyes before responding. "Reading." Avery replied.

'Seriously?' Avery turned a page, "Shut up. Before I start reading out loud." The voice scoffed and remained silent. Avery winced loudly as grey veins ran up her neck. She exhaled deeply as the veins ran back down her neck.

Avery slammed the book shut and stood up. "Bitch!" She exclaimed. The voice in her head chuckled and sighed in victory.

"You're really pushing me." Avery said softly, walking back up the stairs. "For the only Hide who can actually speak, you're really wasting your ability." Avery added.

Hamish, Randall, and Lilith looked over as the red head walked to the bar. 'Wasting? I'm suffocating down here.' The voice complained.

"Will you just shut up?!" Avery snapped. "Who is she talking too?" Lilith asked softly. "Her Hide." Hamish replied.

"Huh?" Randall asked in confusion.

"Accalia." Hamish said, "The only Hide who can talk to their champion."