Chapter Seven

A/N: Before you read some of this, know this is like me taking liberties with the school rules and all.

Theresa popped her neck and prepared for the first day of school tradition.

Unlike the Nevers, the Evers prepared for the first day of school ceremony instead of having classes.

She had spent the first half of the day with Tedros.

They had started with sword training.

He started out with an insultingly easy practice before she'd pompously turned around.

"How about we just have a duel?"

She smirked as his eyes widened.

He'd had that same look when five-year-old her had requested to learn the sword.

"I'm not sure if you're ready for that-"

"You scared?"

Theresa knew exactly how to goad her father into a fight considering she spent a fair portion of her time doing so.

Tedros raised his practice sword and stepped forward.

Theresa smirked as he attacked first.

He always did.

She parried his first thrust and struck with lightning speed, almost stabbing his stomach.

He blocked at the last second and looked up at her.

She wasn't as strong as the boys her age, but what she lacked in pure muscle she made up for with brains in speed.

That was the part of her mother that actually helped with sword fighting.

Tedros attacked again and she blow after blow before striking like a viper.

She jabbed at his chest and, as he went to block it, she changed directions at the last moment and hit his stomach.

He stumbled back and almost fell.

She supposed this wasn't quite fair as she knew all his best moves and he had no idea what her weaknesses were, but she took joy in her accomplishment anyways.

"How'd you learn that?" Tedros asked in a shocked turn.

Theresa smirked.

"I had a good teacher."

He raised his sword again and attacked.

He came too forcefully and she easily sidestepped, making him unbalanced and not ready for when she stabbed him in the back.

"Always keep your balance on your back foot. That's the first thing yo-," she coughed, "my dad taught me."

Tedros frowned and considered the advice.

"I've never heard that before."

Theresa silently made a reminder to not tell Serenity that she had just effectively taught her dad what her taught her in the future.

They went a few more rounds until they were both on equal footing.

Theresa taught Tedros a few of her, meaning his own, tricks.

Her brain started to hurt when she considered the paradox, but she pushed it from her mind.

By the end, the two of them were each winning half of the time, no more and no less.

Tedros finally stopped and wiped his brow.

He grinned.

"Never met someone that could keep up with me," he said.