Chapter Forty-Four

Sophie took a deep breath.

Lunch was coming up quickly, especially considering classes had been canceled due to the Trial by Tale and she had spent the whole time trying to plan out how to tell Nicola she liked her.

But when she walked into the clearing, everything she'd rehearsed in the mirror fled her mind and she just stared at the other girl, still sitting at Agatha's table.

She didn't notice the way Serenity was watching her with fierce intensity.

She took a deep breath and strode up.

"Nicola, can is talk to you?"

The Ever looked up and Sophie's breath caught in her throat.

Nicola raised an eyebrow, but she nodded and Sophie led her to the edge of the clearing.

Why was this so difficult?!

She just had to ask her one simple question...

"Nicola, I realize that you're an Ever, but I enjoyed having you in my class..."

Nicola was staring at her and those beautiful brown eyes made Sophie's heart beat twice as fast as normal.

"And I would really like to talk to you outside of class... so, I was wondering if you'd like to be my date to the No Ball."

~

Serenity tried in vain to get a sight of her mothers.

Theresa put a hand on her shoulder comfortingly and Serenity took a deep breath.

She had had the hardest time trying to get her parents together.

They were so different and she had been in the School for Good...

She put her head on Theresa's shoulder and sought the comfort the other girl always seemed to emanate with.

She wrapped an arm around Serenity's waist as she let out a breath.

It was then that the Nevers made an appearance.

Sophie has hurried to the clearing, obviously to see Nicola.

Amber arrived and Theresa turned her attention from Serenity, but she didn't move away.

Amber looked at the form so close to Theresa with dark eyes before she realized it was her cousin and relaxed slightly.

Theresa rolled her eyes.

Hadn't even been dating and she was already jealous... but that made her grin.

The Nevers took their seats and Amber awkwardly sat beside Theresa.

It looked like she wanted to move closer, but also like she wasn't sure if she could.

Theresa smirked and made the decision for her.

She grabbed Amber by the coat (her coat, she realized with a smug smile) and pulled her closer.

Amber grunted, but she didn't object and awkwardly put her head on Theresa's shoulder like Serenity was doing at the moment.

Hilda gagged and Milly slapped her arm.

Amber was blushing, but Theresa was just grinning as she put an arm around Amber's shoulders.

Serenity didn't seem to notice the new couple and kept her eyes locked on where her mothers had disappeared.

Theresa leaned over and whispered in her cousin's ear.

"I'm sure they're already planning their wedding."