Chapter Thirty-Seven

Theresa shrugged her shoulders uncomfortably and came out of the cave to look at Amber.

The girl looked up and she met dark flinty eyes, almost like she was looking into a black hole.

She felt a smile tug on her lips.

That always happened when she was with Amber.

But something still felt wrong.

That's when she saw it.

A small shimmering in the air.

Her eyes flew past Amber and locked on something that seemed... wrong.

Her finger was suddenly glowing a bright gold color and she pointed it at what was... wrong.

Shimmering.

She'd learned this from her aunt.

She had always harped on the use of snakeskin cloaks and being able to identify them, whether they were invisible already or not.

Theresa had always thought it was useless.

Looks like she was wrong.

She sent a great gust of wind that blew the snakeskin cloak right off of the intruder and pushed them back a good foot on the way.

She was met by Axel, his dark brown eyes wide and his finger glowing brightly.

Theresa's eyes narrowed.

Amber was confused for a moment and she looked over her shoulder, catching sight of Axel and jumping.

Was this a setup?!

Did Theresa lead her here to be played?!

Was she going to be attacked here by both of them?!

Axel pointed his finger glow at her and she dove to the side.

Her mice scurried down from her hair and went racing toward Axel.

Not a single one of them went in Theresa's direction.

She knew she shouldn't trust Theresa so much, that she was probably in on this with her brother, and yet...

She still did.

She allowed her finger to glow that bright orange color that, to the untrained eye, would have looked golden.

Axel watched with fear as Amber's mice grew until they were about his size.

He hurried a few feet back and raised his glowing finger.

But he was suddenly encased in air and lifted off of the ground.

He stared at Theresa with disbelief, clearly having thought that she would be on his side.

Amber froze for a moment and looked at the girl with just as much disbelief.

Theresa had a calm, dispassionate look on her face.

As calculating as any king or queen Amber had ever met (more so than Tedros).

"You said that you didn't want any help," Theresa said.

Her voice was cold and unemotional.

Axel flinched.

"You want to prove yourself."

He nodded.

Theresa glanced at Amber and suddenly she realized that... that Theresa was looking to her for guidance.

But in that moment Axel's finger glowed brightly and the air surrounding him disappeared.

He fell about three feet before he struck the ground.