Chapter Twenty-Three

Nevers can love Evers?

Dot was still thinking about that.

Was she right?

Her eyes traveled across the lunch clearing and landed on a certain Ever that was wearing her cute little black hair in pigtails.

In case you couldn't tell, she meant that she was thinking about Kiko.

She was so cute.

Kiko spilled a bit of food onto her lap and let out a little shriek.

Dot giggled, making Hester and Anadil look at her with confused looks.

But the albino looked away after a minute and started to subtly watch Hester.

Hester was complaining about something or other and Anadil was trying her hardest not to stare at her in awe.

Ever since she'd realized how she felt about Hester, she'd been having a hard time not practically screaming how she felt about the tattooed witch whenever they were within a few feet of each other.

The way she looked at Hester perfectly mirrored her younger daughter, Amber, as she sat beside Theresa.

Theresa didn't seem to notice and she kept talking to her, but she was also quite obviously trying to invade the other girl's personal space (something that made Amber get very flustered and uncomfortable, but also annoyingly excited which just made her angry at stupid feelings).

"Ther, where's your jacket by the way?" Axel asked from across the table.

Hilda started snickering beside Amber and the latter started blushing and trying not to look at Theresa.

"Ummm, I think I lost track of it. I'll get one when we get back home," Theresa said, but she knew that Amber had it and tried not to smirk too much as the other girl coughed awkwardly and looked away.

Milly looked at Amber with a raised eyebrow and then back at Hilda (who she had barely taken her eyes off of all lunch).

Hilda leaned over and whispered about the jacket in her ear and Milly started blushing.

Dede and Nathan were talking.

Serenity and Axel, who were sitting beside each other, were both staring at the two with the same expression. It wasn't hard to tell they were related, even though they weren't similar in appearance at all.

Axel glanced at his cousin and frowned, looking over at Dede and Nathan.

His heart stuttered for a moment.

Did she like Nathan?!

Were they going to get together?!

It made his heart ache.

But he'd be happy for Nathan, right? He'd try at least and-

He stopped that train of thought as he caught sight of Dede saying something to Serenity.

His cousin lit up with excitement and looked very happy with the turn out.

His eyes widened as he watched Dede playfully punch Serenity on the arm, making the latter girl go all pink and stutter for a moment.

That confirmed his suspicions.

Serenity liked Dede.

That made his heart start beating again.

She didn't like Nathan.

He felt guilty about that, but he grinned anyways.

Then he realized that he and Serenity both liked people that were clearly in love with other people.