Chapter Twenty-Eight

The first Trial by Tale was supposed to be the older students.

Hester told Anadil one final time where they would meet before they were told to get ready to enter the blue forest.

Dot took a deep breath before she entered the blue forest.

Beside her, she saw a small Ever with pig tails going halfway down her back.

She felt her heart beat quicker and she hurried over to her side.

Kiko had a worried look for a moment before she recognized Dot.

She relaxed slightly and the Never hurried to her side.

"We need to find cover," she whispered.

Kiko felt her face turning a light pink color.

She followed the slightly round witch further into the forest.

There was a quiet noise to the side of the path and Kiko yelped, grabbing onto Dot's arm and pulling her closer to her.

Dot grabbed onto Kiko's hand and gently rubbing it and leading them away from whatever could be out to the side.

But despite the sounds around them dying out, Kiko kept her hand on the other girl and Dot didn't say anything about it.

"Don't worry, you're going to be alright," Dot said.

Kiko paused for a moment.

"Why are you helping me?"

"You're my friend."

Kiko grinned and felt her face flushing.

"Thank you," she said quietly.

It was Dot's turn to become flustered as she watched Kiko.

She didn't notice the creeping form behind them.

The one that had been sent from the Schools.

~

Ravan heard the wolves howl and he hurried into the blue forest.

There were scary sound around them and tried not to think about it.

He knew that he was supposed to wait for Hort, but he wasn't supposed to be here for over an hour.

~

Reena ignored Ravan and hurried out of the clearing and into the predetermined location they were supposed meet.

She wondered how long it would be until she would find Beatrix.

~

Kiko heard another rustling of leaves behind them and gasped, pulling herself backwards and holding onto Dot's arm like he classic princess and prince of a fairytale.

Dot raised her glowing blue finger instead of a sword, but the scene was just as effective.

Kiko knew she had to do something and prepared how to protect her new ally.

After a moment, a small bunny hopped out of the woods and came up to them.

Both of them relaxed instantly and Kiko bent down, making a quiet cooing sound and gesturing for the bunny to come closer.

The bunny did, its little green eyes sparkling with life as it sniffed the air around it.

Kiko giggled as she lifted the bunny and it tickled her neck.

And a moment later there was another bunny hoping onto the trail beside them.

Dot was a bit hesitant, but she picked up the bunny this time and laughed as it nestled into her dark black coat with a quiet sniff.