twenty six

The silence stirring between Gordie and Robert is nearing its end. " Are you dead or sleeping?" Gordie wonders, pulling his knees closer to his chest, back against cold bars.

" No."

" Then why are you quiet?" he asks, turning his head to look at Robert's back.

" Because I'm trying to wrap this around my brain," Red sighs. He turns his body, forcing himself to sit on his bum. " How are you okay with this? We just found a dead body."

" But we're also okay, Red," Gordie sighs, turning look at Robert. " I'm just happy we got the hell out if there." Gordie can only shrug, fighting the urge to touch Red through the bars.

" They think we killed him though." Robert's voice hushes to a whisper, tears threatening to create more trails on his face. Gordie stares a moment longer, not liking the look of sadness of Red's face. Well, he doesn't want anyone to be upset, but on Robert it makes him feel guilty for no reason. " I'm just a Chamber. That's all I am."

" Hey, Red-" Gordie takes a heavy breath, mind going blank while his heart lodges itself in his ear. Before he could continue, the sound of their cell doors open. Both look up, finding a guard in front of their doors.

" You're free to go." Both give a look of confusion. They've been in this cell for at least 30 hours now and were subjected to four hours of straight interrogation. Why let them out now? " There isn't enough evidence to charge you with the murder."

Robert takes a glance at Gordie, finding the brunette with a grin on his face. It makes the redhead give a small smile as well.

Their steps are quiet, the two being walked to the entrance of the facility by the officer. The doors they had walked through yesterday are now the ones they're leaving through.

As soon as their feet hit the sidewalk, both stretch happily, basking in the noon sunlight. Despite the two smelling terrible, having no shirt and their parents seemingly forgetting they exist, they still smile.

" Shower at your place?" Robert asks, turning to look at Gordie. The latter's grin somehow grows bigger.

" Yes, please."