Chapter 26- The End Part 1

Todoroki's POV

I see him falling and I feel my eyes go wide. His words... his face. It's pleased. He's happy.

I see his wavy green hair as it blows in the wind and the world around me stops moving. Time slows down, and it's just me and him. 

He's gone.

I'm letting him die... it's all my fault. Everything I've done is worthless. It meant nothing in the end.

I'm about to give up, but then my body jerks. I feel a jolt run down my spine and my body moves as I hear three words whispered in my ears.

A soft voice, calm and firm.

"Izu is here."

The voice said to me. I hear it clearly, and boldly. The voices... who are they? They... they're real...

The words...

I throw my body forward and partially off the building, leaning over the edge. I reach down blindly... and then I feel it. A wrist that I wrapped my hand around, holding on for dear life. I look down and meet the angry eyes of the villain, who dangles off the edge of the building.

I can barely hold him up. He's heavy, and I strain to keep him up with one arm. I'm partially leaning over the edge myself, threatening a fall.

"IZU IS HERE!" I yell before he can even speak. I choke as I try and keep him up, watching his face change.

His pupils grow larger, softer. His face goes from a scowl to a soft frown. He looks... conflicted. He looks like he wants to cry.

"...what did you just say?" He asks me, remaining calm.

I flex my forearm and yell out again. "He isn't dead! The person I knew isn't dead! Izuku Midoriya is there too! The only person that should die is Deku! Let him die!" I grit my teeth. "He is here. He's in your head. It's all in your head! Everything's on your fucking head Izuku! You're in control!"

He takes a shaky breath and looks at my face. "Please let go of me." He asks. "I don't want to live."

"Yes you do!" I yell back. "Everything we've done, isn't going to go to waste! You aren't going to waste your life. There's time left!"

I see a face I haven't seen in years. Softness and sympathy. He's... he's fighting with himself. His head is whirring I can see it in his eyes. The pain, the confliction...

He's in there.

I stick my other hand out, begging for him to grab it.

"Please Izu! Please..."

~~~

Deku's POV

Even though I've stopped moving, I feel myself falling deep, deep, deep.

It's like I've plunged into a pool of water. And I can't breathe.

It's like I'm drowning.

Did you know when you're drowning, you don't actually inhale until right before you black out?

It isn't the water that kills you. It's yourself.

You control when you open your mouth and when you don't.

The instinct to not let any water in is so strong, you'll hold on until it feels like your head is exploding.

And when you finally let it in, that's when it stops hurting.

That's when all the pain goes away, when you let the water into your lungs. That part doesn't hurt. The struggling to stay alive does. It's what eventually kills you.