Chapter 17

Alinia walked through the market with Pyro, while the men were out trying to get a job. Pyro looked around with curiousity. Many eyed them, giving them looks of distrust. "I cant tell if they dont like us because we're outsiders, or if its cause we're hf breeds," He told her. She smiled softly, "It doesn't matter Pyro." "But it does Lady Alinia," He said fiercely. "I'm tired of being looked down on. I just want to be able to walk somewhere and not receive hate because I'm not a full blood." He kicked a rock and it skidded under a cart.

She rested a hand on his head, "The queen said that it's going to take a while for us to be accepted because we're outsiders. Pay no mind to anyone. Once we all have places to live, it'll get better." He gave her a skeptical look, "If you say so."

She lead him through the market, keeping him close. She stopped at a booth and looked through the various potions and books. The booth owner looked over the two of them. "I only let the strongest of magic shop at my booth," his voice gravely. "I want to make sure the items I sell dont land in the hands of some amateur."

He passed a power gaging crystal to Alinia and she took it. It was bright making many near by close their eyes. She smiled when she handed it back. He nodded, "What of the boy?" "I can only do some simple fire spells," Pyro told him. Fire Sprite, Alinia realized. That's one of the things he was mixed with. It's rare you find them unless you venture to volcanoes. "He hasn't full come into his magic yet, he isn't of age," Alinia told the booth owner. He nodded and looked at Alinia once more.

"Anything you see of interest," He asked her. "I need blessed thread," she told him. "I would like for my shifter friend to be able to change forms and not worry about his clothing." "The stuff is hard to come by," he told her. She pursed her lips, "Then I guess I'll have to make it." She dug her small notebook out of her bag to look through the list of things she used the last time she made blessed thread. It was extremely difficult to make, hence why it was rare. "Y-You can make blessed thread," he asked her shocked. She nodded, "Its a three day process, but yes I can." She looked over her list then looked over what he had at his booth. She bought a couple of the items then continued through the market.

She huffed when she saw she was missing some things and prayed the castle had it. They got back to the palace and the Queen smiled when she saw Alinia. "Come do archery with me," the queen said. Unable to refuse the queen, Alinia went with her. Pyro took the things to their rooms before going to the archery field to watch them. "Ever shoot before," The queen asked Alinia while handing her a bow and a quiver of arrows. Alinia nodded, "All the time." Hunting had been essential to her survival. "Let's see how well you can do," The queen said, full of excitement. Alinia knocked an arrow and pulled back, her eyes landing on her target. With great accuracy, it landed in the target. She couldn't fight but she could shoot.

She shot another arrow into the end of the one sticking out of the target, splitting it down the center. Queen Aqua smiled, "That's so cool!" She then knocked an arrow in her bow. She fired it, but it was a little off from the center. "Knives are my preferred weapon of choice," She said with a sigh. "I can throw them with just as much accuracy as you can shoot your arrows."

"This is the only weapon I can use," Alinia told her. "You got good with those daggers Lady Alinia," Pyro told her. "That was all an illusion from the man with the cursed eyes remember Pyro," She asked him. Queen Aqua nodded, "I heard about that. Very rare do things you learn during situations like that, stick with you." Unfortunately, Pyro thought, "What about feelings you gain?" She shrugged, "I guess it depends the feelings. Chemistry between two people can't be faked, no matter how powerful the being is that cast the illusion. So no matter what there is a draw both in reality and in an illusion."

"Meaning I have to make try and relearn how to read most of what I already learned," Pyro groaned. "Afraid so little man," Queen Aqua told him. "To help with that though, I have plenty of tutors." He perked up then, "Really?" She turned to him with a smile, "Of course. No one should be without the skills to read and write." "Thank you Queen Aqua," Pyro said with a bright smile. The women went back to shooting and Alinia gave the queen pointers to try and improve her aim.

When Xon found Alinia he was awed by her beauty. Hearing her laugh was like music to his ears and seeing her smile was breath taking. She was much happier now that she was no longer tied to that prick.

She then turned that smile to him and he returned it. He pulled her to him and she wrapped her arms around her neck. "Did you manage to find work," she asked him. He nodded, "I am a blacksmith's apprentice." She giggled softly, "What a coincidence." He chuckled,"You have no idea."

Dracin sat in the garden using his knife on a piece of wood to carve an owl figure. "A man who creates arts with his hands is one of value," Queen Aqua said as she came into the garden. "And one who can use them to bring joy during dark times is one to be cherished. While a man who causes nothing but pain and fear with the hands he has been given is worthless," Dracin said, finishing the quote from the great scholar Husou.

"You've read Husou," She asked curiously. He shook his head, "No ma'am, it was something Lady Alinia read to Pyro when she was teaching him how to read during storm season when we had been stuck inside her home while waiting for it to pass." "Why is it you all call her Lady Alinia, and not Princess," The queen asked him curiously. "We had started calling her by the title of Lady before we ever knew of her royal blood. Pyro had been the one to start calling her Lady, and we just followed his lead," he explained to her. "Plus she doesnt rub her royal blood in our faces. Instead she sees herself as one of us, a simple person."

"Why is it you men talk so highly of her. I can understand the one she has chosen to be with, but the rest of you," She asked him curiously. "Some of us had met her before storm season when a dragon attacked some of us on the way home from a trading trip. Lady Alinia had thoughtlessly ran out to help them. She poured her magic for three days into saving Theo. She then spent the time they were resting and recovering to teach Pyro how to read, write, how to wash his clothes, and even mend them. Instead of showing her gratitude for her kindness, she was judged for her mixed blood. Even went as far to claim she was wanting something in return. She gave Pyro a gold offering and we still doubted her." He turned the wood in his hand as he worked while he spoke, "And we left our home to protect Kenomi and Pyro. Pyro guilted us into going to warn Lady Alinia about them. Then the storm came and we all got separated. Theo and Pyro got to her home and she used up all of her magic to go out and find us. She didn't care we didn't trust her or even like her and she risked her life to save us a second time. She then let us stay in her home and she was so nice. Now we see her as one of us."

She nodded, "I know of her gruesome past, and I see the kindness and warmth you all see. It's proof enough that even with horrid pasts, we can still be good people." She then looked over at him, "If you dont mind me asking, what happened to the boy's mother?" Dracin shook his head, "She was killed in a clan war shortly after she birthed Pyro."

She nodded, "I see. At least he has you and Lady Alinia." Dracin nodded in agreement, "This is true." "So what are your plans now that you have moved here," she asked him. "Outside of protecting Lady Alinia, I haven't really thought of anything," he confessed. "Why not sell art," she suggested while admiring his figure. "There arent many local sellers here." "I'm an uneducated man. I know nothing about owning a shop," he told her. She rolled her eyes, "You dont have to be that educated as long as you know the value of money."

He shrugged, "I never thought about selling my art. Usually it was just a way to deal with my anger at the world. It's been a while since I've even painted anything. This is all I've been able to muster for a while." She then smiled, "Maybe you should start using it to express your joy and happiness.

She then left him, with thoughts swirling around in his head. My happiness, he thought in confused wonder.