Chapter 29

The guild house was trashed. It was clear Alfonzo was in one of his moods once more. Everyone had hoped that when he got with Lady Alinia, those days would be in the past. As they stood outside, they knew they had been wrong to hope. Torick looked about, and he had a bad feeling. He gestured for the rest of the guild to follow him inside. Alfonzo was sitting on the steps inside the house.

"What's wrong Master," Mit asked him hesitantly. Mit was the youngest of the guild. "I need to know when the next auction will be," Alfonzo told his guild. "Does this have to have anything to deal with Lady Alinia," Torick asked him. "She left me," Alfonzo told everyone. "Because we know of the auctions and dont do anything to stop it. Lady Alinia is usually a calm and gentle person, and never utters a vulgar word. However tonight, I saw another side of her, that truly had me scared for my life. I am going to do whatever it takes to try and make things right. And if any of you try to warn those who you know will be at the auctions, you too will receive the same fate. Am I clear?" They all nodded with a chorus of 'yes sirs'.

Alfonzo then stood, "I want that information before sunrise." As he spoke he neared Torick. Suddenly his fist slammed into Torick's face. "That is from Lady Alinia," Alfonzo told him as he tried to get up from the floor. "She wanted to do it herself, however I didn't want to risk her injuring her hand." He then faced the rest of the guild, "No longer will we stand by and allow the auctions to happen. If we see someone being abducted to be sold, we stop it. Lady Alinia is also still under our protection, anything else happens to her, you answer to me."

He then left the foyer. Torick wiped the blood from his face as he stood. He should've listened to his gut and not come in.

Aqua sat in her throne room with Dracin when the Captain of the Guard entered with a stack of papers. "Our Phantom Lord has been busy," He told her while handing her the forms. She took them and read them over, "He took out ten auctions and freed those meant to be sold?" She pursed her lips, "I wasn't even aware of this many auctions going on. Had I known, they would've been stopped in a more cleanly manner." "I think, it has something to do with a certain Lady who is no longer with him," Dracin told her. She snapped her eyes to him.

"What do you mean," She asked him. "I don't know what happened, but she wasn't wearing his necklace this morning," Dracin told her. "And her eyes looked like she had spent the night crying." Aqua got up and took the forms with her. She found Alinia in her room leaning against the balcony. "Alinia," Aqua called out.

"Yeah," she said while not looking at her. "So my Captain gave me some interesting reports a few minutes ago," Aqua said while stepping on to the balcony. "Apparently, a certain Guild Master has been busy." Alinia scoffed, yet it held only pain, "I bet he has." "He shut down ten auctions, killing everyone who planned to either buy or sell, and he freed the ones who were going to be sold," Aqua told her. "All without being hired to do so." Alinia snapped her gaze to Aqua, "He did what?" It was whispered shock.

"Want to tell me what happened between the two of you to get this kind of response from him," Aqua asked her closest friend. Alinia then told her what happened the night prior. Aqua nodded, "I understand that you're upset Alinia. After all, we all have a crime that we draw the line at. But it's clear to me, a certain Guild Master, is trying to apologize to you." Aqua handed her the forms to read before leaving her room.

Alinia leaned against the balcony, reading every form, over and over again. She wasn't expecting him to do anything. She thought he was going to put the guild first and not ruin his relationships with his contacts. It was his source of income, not just for him, but for all of them living in the guild house. She wiped her eyes, and went to sit down.

He stopped ten auctions, all for her, she realized. She didn't think he would care. When he left, it felt worse than when Xon told her he found his mate. She didn't think she could experience a pain worse than what she felt for him. Was this what true love feels like? She ran a hand through her hair. He was making an effort to try and make up for it, but should she believe it? Sure he was doing it now, but what if he stopped caring later? She hugged her knees to her chest, resting her forehead on her knees. What is it that she is supposed to do?

After throwing around ideas in her head, she decided to wait a few days. It hurt being away from him even at this moment, but she knew she had to. It was the only way to know for certain.  Her hand went to her neck where the necklace had been. She truly missed its comforting presence.

Alfonzo walked through the darkened alley, feeling his magic was low. He decided to call it a night. After all, it was almost sun rise. The rest of his guild was busy helping those they saved back home where they belonged, or helping them settle in Kalos. He made his way home, but instead of going to his room, he made his way downstairs where the mongrel who had captured his Lady hung from the ceiling by chains. The man lifted his head at the sound of Alfonzo approaching.

"I didn't know," He whispered to Alfonzo. "I'm aware of that. However, my Lady has yet to come back to me, so I get to take out my frustrations out on you. I can promise, you will not be leaving here alive, but death will be a long wait. This is your punishment for kidnapping pixies to sell. Maybe in the next life, you'll think twice before ever looking at another pixie again." Alfonzo smiled a sinister smile, fangs on full display before he began to have his fun.

Torick sat on the stairs, watching as Alfonzo took out his anger. His jaw was sore from the punch, but he knew it was well deserved. When Alfonzo was tired he stepped away, tossing his torture tool off to the side. He turned to Torick. "I'm sorry Master Alfonzo," Torick told him. Alfonzo sighed, "It's not your fault Torick. You were following what we all have followed for a while. We all have a crime that we have a feeling of hatred for. For Lady Alinia, it's auctioning off people." He nodded in understanding.

Alfonzo then went upstairs to wash up. He was a little surprised to see Aqua waiting in the foyer. "You've been busy," She said in greeting. "And I'm not done," Alfonzo told her. "There are a few more happening in the next couple of days I will be eradicating."

"You love her," Aqua stated as she looked at him. He sighed, "I do." She smiled softly, "There is still hope for you Alfonzo, don't give up. She'll come around eventually." She then checked the time, "I have an outing planned with Dracin. Do not burn down my kingdom during your rampage." She left with a knowing smile and Alfonzo didn't know what to say or think.