Chapter 8

Matt's POV

I had spent the majority of the night researching, so by the time I woke up the next day, it was as if I hadn't slept at all.

I rose at half four, dressed in a pair of uncomfortable pyjamas that rested below my navel. I preferred to take them off and laze around with no restriction. Of course, that couldn't happen.

Looking in the bathroom mirror, I noticed my drowsy eyes behind the layer of blurriness. I shook myself, replaced my contacts, and then carefully walked over to examine Doe while I could. She was still sound asleep and I stood hovering over her. I thought I might wake her up like last time, but decided against it.

Doe wore her satin cap, as per usual, and remained unbothered, in contrast to when she was awake. I couldn't even hear her breathing. Her skin looked immensely soft - touchable - and her lips curled into a permanent smile. I bet that she held on to an exquisite sensation, keeping it all to herself.

I went over to the bedside and saw her Holy Bible open on a random page, her phone acting as the bookmark. I closed it. How could she read this, and every single night too?

Suddenly, Doe's phone lit up with a pill reminder. It was a low buzzing sound, and with it in my hands, I panicked and fumbled to take it off. I looked between her and the device. How important was this, anyway?

"I'll leave a note," I said aloud.

'Doe, your pill reminder rang so I took it off. Sorry. Sincerely,

Matthew Adler.'

After getting ready, I packed my things and walked in the light dew to the orphanage. The sky was teasing as bright beams peeked out from the thin clouds. It was an overhead carpet, fabricated in hues of purple, blue and red.

At the doorstep, I remembered to dig into my jean pocket for the pointers of what I had researched. Instead, out of my pocket fell the sticky note that I was supposed to leave for Doe.

Oh, crap.

I swore under my breath, and at the same time, the door clicked open.

"...Matthew," Miss Hilga looked confused, "Is...everything alright?" "Everything's fine." I straightened up.

She smiled, "...Anyway, you're early."

Miss Hilga let me in, and I checked the clock on the wall.

Isaiah, Carla, and at least a few other members were already in the meeting room. I dropped off my things and went to the kitchen.

It was quieter than usual.

I inspected the counter which had a variety of produce, loaves of bread and scrambled eggs presented. Taking a bit of everything, I had a seat and filled a large cup with robust coffee.

After a couple of peaceful minutes, more volunteers filed in. Eventually, the door opened and Isaiah led Jackley in by hand.

"What?" I asked when they approached me.

"Nothing," Jackley whispered, lifting his arms.

I looked at Isaiah who just shrugged. Then, I hesitantly lifted Jack and put him on the seat beside me.

"He's supposed to go to his sensory room in about an hour," Isaiah explained.

"Okay..." I eyed Jack, who was stretching his tiny arms to pluck a handful of grapes off my plate. The fruit fell to the floor, and for a while, he glared at me, expectantly.

"...Yeah. Don't forget the meeting later," I continued.

"Mhm..." Isaiah trailed off.

I spent an entire hour of my morning doing crafts, colouring, sensory and memory exercises with Jackley. He enjoyed it and spoke a lot more than I had expected him to. The child had some brilliant ideas.