Chapter 26

“Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity.” Colossians 4:5
______________________________________

Doe's POV

Every inch of that room I searched served no purpose.

Matthew's mom, Mavis, left me alone in her home, thinking I was picking up some old photo albums for Matt to decorate his apartment. Really, I was searching for old contracts.

One old contract, in particular.

Last night, Matt texted me about what Mr. Baker had accidentally admitted to him. If Matt's suspicions were right, he could have used the information against the foundation.

I was on my knees, checking through all the drawers in Mr. Adler's old room. All I got were papers - totally irrelevant to anything I needed.

I was tired and frustrated.

I had left my mom back at the orphanage, helping the kitchen staff prepare for the dinner later. It was set at a restaurant downtown, and mom was attending, on my invitation.

But this...? This was a waste of my time.

I eventually wandered into a bedroom at the end of the hall. It looked untouched for years. The paint was peeling a bit on the walls and the door creaked, even before I opened it. Thankfully, the lights switched on, a few moths scattering from the bulb.

On the other side of the door, there was a name carved.

'Matthew'

“Wow,” I let out a sigh at his room.

The walls were vandalised - everything dusty and ancient.

Although I knew it would gain me nothing, I ventured further, opening a few of the drawers. Completely empty. All there was left to see was the splitting wood. It was the same for the closets and desk.

I hesitantly sat on the bed. It felt like the bedding was more than centuries old, and unwashed. I shuddered at the thought, then first stood to leave when my heel hit something. I yelled out, in more fright than pain, sprinting toward the door, and back into the corridor. My screams echoed throughout the entire house. It was deadly silence, otherwise.

“No weapon formed...” I muttered, comforting myself and taking in deep breaths.

Look at what Matthew had me going through.

After saying a silent prayer, I peered back into the room, tilting my head to get a look below the bed.

It was only a toy trunk.

“Thank God,” I walked over and pulled it out.

I squatted down, opening it slowly.

In it, was a variety of stuffed animals and building blocks, that continued for layers and layers, until I spotted something at the very bottom.

There was a clear folder, overfed with several sheets of paper. I needed to go through it all...and it would take forever.

As I skimmed through the sixth contract, I heard a car arrive at the front, downstairs. I ran to the window and saw Mrs. Adler carrying a burdensome load of groceries.

I rushed back to the folder, now searching through it at the speed of light. Actually, faster than that.

I passed by one contract...in particular, dated nearly a decade ago, before taking a second look at the heading.

'An Agreement Between Mr.T Baker, representing The Ostville Autism Foundation, and its associate, Mr.M Adler.'

I scanned through the basics, making sure it had everything from the terms and conditions, to the specific grounds. I checked for the signatures of both parties. Mr. Baker's was printed neatly and clearly.