Chapter 13

Doe's POV

Ostville was a place of crime. Most of the crime that happened was among the rich. And the rich meant the corrupt.

Isaiah, Hannah and Matthew were joking around at a table, daring each other to take shots of mouthwash. I struggled to hear the news on the tv so I raised the volume.

On the headlines, yet another anonymous businessman was shot almost a few days ago. His funeral would take place that day, and it would be open to the public.

“One...two...three,” Matthew counted and Hannah put the cork to her head, sputtering and gagging.

We were all in the volunteer lounge, which was a small room with two or three scattered couches and an old television.

I approached the three, lending my focus to Matthew.

“Dont you have a funeral to go to?”

“You don't actually think I know every businessman right?” he laughed.

Matthew didn't look as tired as usual.  Or maybe he was becoming good at hiding it. It tempted me to ask him about the raffle event but I wanted to give him my cold shoulder for as long as I possibly could. I had been staying with Hannah instead.

Hannah and I were very different. She stayed up for late hours in the night, didn't plan for the next day and went with the flow. Still, we shared the same faith so I took it as enough to get along. Although, I knew that she was becoming annoyed with me. The way I tidied and stressed over things that weren't even mine. I wanted things to be a certain way, even if it wasn't my room.

“My mistake,” I shrugged.

He opened his mouth to speak but I walked off before he could.

After about an hour or two, it was time for my shift. Mrs. Evergreen had placed me on lunch alone for that day and I planned to spend some more time with Ava. I had had enough stressing over Matthew and poor Jackley Bentley. Matthew being his 'guide' basically meant he was on his own.

The Lord needed to guide both of them.

I got myself suited up, and following the meal plan stuck above the stove, I put some water to boil. After, I washed and placed a handful of potatoes in the pot.

I was hoping to meet with Mrs. Evergreen to discuss our meal plans. I wanted to have a say in that, just like I did at my job. I had mentioned it to Matthew, on one of my terrible days. I doubt he had even written the suggestion down.

A loud knock on the door pulled me out of my thoughts.

My shift was nowhere near done, still I sat on a random stool in the storage room. My head was throbbing and staying in this scorching kitchen helped not one bit. It was nothing like this at 'Le Mange'. The door opened behind me.

“Roseline...” I turned around and Hannah approached me, checking my forehead for a temperature,“When are you going to talk to him?”

“No, I can't.”

I looked up at her and she huffed. I was counting the days to never have to deal with any of this again.

“Would it help if I kicked you out?” she placed her hands on her knees, “This whole ignoring thing is sad and tiring.”

“I'll find somewhere else to go.”

Hannah frowned. I knew she didn't want me staying at any random place. But my options were endless, and I was ready to use them. Still, it was just a simple threat.

“Alright,” she sighed, wrapping her long hair up, “I'm outside.”

I left the room right after her. Years passed until lunch was finished and ready to be served.