Chapter 17

Matt's POV

I was called into Miss Hilga's space several times that day.

Doe ran the errand of getting us both breakfast, something usually done by me. She left the room and again, I walked to the orphanage alone.

Talking my time, I went to an early morning meeting Carla called by herself, concerning the fair. They sealed the deal with the persons at the community so now our focus would be minor improvements and distribution of funds.

The morning was going as it should have, and I was minding my business up until I received a strange summon.

Helen Baker, the woman I didn't favour one bit, burst into our meeting room. She didn't ask whether she was interrupting, or if we were busy, just called my name the way a mother calls her stubborn child.

“Helen. Not -”

“It's urgent.” she insisted, widening her eyes.

I groaned quietly, rose from my seat and excused myself.

I followed Helen into Miss Hilga's very small office, where Jackley and another woman were seated.

The air was tense.

I looked over to Jackley who kept his eyes focused on his lap. He didn't even acknowledge me like he usually would. The lively four year old was now chained and silent.

After I took a seat opposite Miss Hilga, who was searching for something behind her desk, there was a deafening silence.

I shifted in my chair multiple times, surprisingly not wanting to speak. How serious would this be?

“Who's -”

“Let's cut the formalities,” Helen hissed, interrupting my burning question. She stood somewhere behind me with her arms folded.

Oh...hell. I knew what this was all about.

“Matthew,” Miss Hilga finally spoke, “You know I love my orphanage...”

Okay?

“...All I need is your honesty.”

All she needed was my honesty.

I was screwed.

They interrogated me, one unimportant question after the other, before getting to the point.

“Matthew Adler, does this woman look familiar to you?”

I turned my head to land focus on her face. The conditions were strange, I wasn't at my best but even so, I couldn't put a name to the face.

“Nope,” I resorted to one word answers.

“But what happened that day at the park?” Helen's snake-like syllables sent trills down my spine.

I swallowed hard, fixing my shirt collar.

I looked at Jack who looked at me, wiping away his own tears. I closed my eyes and grimaced. Ach. This would be terrible.

I clearly remembered Jackley pouncing onto a stranger's child and I, not being able to deal with it. That was the problem. I couldn't deal with Jack.

Something clicked for me. I glanced at the lady again, more closely.

“...Your son?” I spoke to her, weary of a mix-up.

“Yup,” she crossed her arms. I caught a glimpse of her fury that day and sighed.

I sighed, since that was all I could have done.