Chapter 27

“Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.” Proverbs 27:1
______________________________________

Doe's POV

“There's someone out front for you.”

I left the kitchen at 'Le Mange' to see Matthew Adler, bouncing on the spot excitedly.

“What are you do -”

“Ssh...”

His mouth crashed into mine, as our tongues danced before a crowd of strangers.

“I have something to show you,” he grabbed my hand and led me out of the restaurant.

I had never seen him this excited before.

I looked back, nearly tripping over myself, as Ashley just laughed and smiled knowingly.

“Stay here.”

Matthew ran to the other side of his car, searching persistently. I smoothed out my aprons and watched him make his way back over to me. He had a long, piece of cloth thrown over his shoulder.

“Take these off.”

He helped me remove my aprons, and then gently folded the cloth across my eyes. My heart raced at everything, but he promised:

“This is going to be good.”

He sat me down, fastened my seatbelt and soon started the engine.

During the short drive on the road, Matt kept one of his hands on my knees, probably to keep my trust. It helped a lot. He stayed quiet and let the radio play softly until the car came to a complete and final stop. We had arrived at our destination.

“There's something I need to show you.”

I heard the car door open and close, then re-open, except on my side. The warm, Summer breeze tickled my skin and peeled a smile from my face. I felt Matthew's strong arms on either side of my face as he untied the blindfold.

Once I could see again, he cupped my face and kissed me. I smelt his everyday cologne - a scent I could never get tired of. He gave me another kiss, this time on the cheek, and helped me out of the car.

                               &&&

PRESENT DAY.

I jolted up from my sleep, panting heavily. I checked the clock on my bedside which read 10PM. I was still in my wrap dress from the dinner, which must have been earlier that same night. My pillow was soaked, in nothing but tears.

On hearing the news a few hours ago, I had passed out. And now I woke up in my own bed. No one had told me any other details, all I needed to know was that a gun went off in Mr. Baker's office. Twice.

Thinking of it again, my eyes welled in tears and I sat there crying like a child. I clutched my pillow and screamed into it.

Matthew was in the hospital.

And I knew he was going to die, that was if he wasn't dead already.

It had been an hour and a half since the occurrence.

I crawled out of bed, and changed into something less celebratory.

After washing my face, I walked downstairs to hear my mom on the phone with someone. She was staying in my apartment for a while, since she was only visiting Ostville. Mama wanted to give me enough time to 'make up my mind' about moving to the capital.

I sneaked down the stairs, and into the kitchen. When Mama saw me, she hung up her call and outstretched her arms to me. I went over to her and wrapped myself in her warmth.