Chapter 14

Doe's POV

The next day, I got to know Matthew some more.

After a night's while, I rose earlier than usual with no intention of waking him. I took advantage of the free space, finishing up my meditation and preparing for the day.

At around half four, I tip-toed over to the bedside and knelt.

Matthew laid face down, in the exact position he was in last night. His hair was disheveled and his belt undone. He hadn't moved an inch. I advanced closer to him, admiring his enticing features. His lips were slightly parted as he let out a light snore. I tapped his face, tilting it to the side which revealed a trail of saliva that had escaped his mouth.

“Geez...”I wiped some of his slaver onto his pants leg. His clothing shifted more than I meant, exposing a peek of his underwear.

It was at that same moment that his piercing eyes shot open, causing me to scream and hit my head on the wall behind me.

Matthew blinked a few times, gathering his thoughts as I recovered from the shock.

“Do you always wake up like that?” I trembled, hand on heart, “Just... opening your eyes?”

He squinted for a long time, as if trying to recognise me.

“Doe, what the hell are you doing?” he finally caught on.

“What am I doing?” I questioned aloud.

He sat upright in snail pace and groaned. I stood, after regaining my strength.

“I'm really sorry,” I admitted, not sure what I was apologising for.

Matthew didn't respond. He pulled up the sheets to cover his torso completely and gazed at the spot beside the bed where I had knelt. I watched him have a personal 'oh' moment and turn back to me.

“...Is your head alright?” he slightly teased, snickering at my fall from grace.

“Yes,” I clapped, “Happens all the time.”

Matthew looked down and laughed. I bit my lower lip and he caught it, trailing his eyes to the exact spot. I let go.

“...And was my drool really that bad?” he tilted his head with sly intent.

I felt my stomach drop. I could have only imagined the look of embarrassment plastered onto my face. Matthew, on the other hand, enjoyed every second of it.

“C'mon Doe,” he smiled broadly, “I'm not that dumb.”

A blush crept it's way onto my face. I knew it was exactly what he wanted.

Matt's POV

Doe and I didn't talk about that morning for the rest of the day.

Her and I were in and out of other conversation as expected, since our tasks didn't get any easier at the orphanage.

I took it as an unspoken thing that we were back on our usual terms, or that Doe had taken some sort of drug and woken up in a good mood that day.

It was around that time in the afternoon when some of the volunteers and kids met up to play board games and other social activities.

Helen Baker hadn't been there all day, since I convinced Miss Hilga a few days ago to only call her in on schedule. That meant Jackley was out enjoying the games and music like the rest of us.

Not even a half an hour had passed, when Jack found himself sitting in the centre of the Twister™ game mat, making everyone upset with him. The scene was hilarious.