Chapter 13 cont'd

Doe's POV

The next day, I packed my things and left Hannah's room in peace, finally.

She insisted that I 'sucked it up' and dealt with Matthew. I was hard-headed when it came to things like that. That went without saying.

I was in the kitchen, sitting in the storage room on the floor. My shift was over but I had nothing else to get done. Ava was spending the day with her fellow orphans, as an attempt to make them bond, and Mrs. Evergreen didn't need nor want my help. I stayed with my knees pulled up to my chest, rocking back and forth.

The door clicked open and Matthew entered with tears swimming in his blue eyes. He had definitely been laughing, and for some reason he wasn't wearing his contacts like usual.

“Doe, you are too much.”

Matthew offered me his hand but I slapped it away.

“Don't touch me.”

He sighed, squatting down to look at me closely.

“What's the problem?” he laughed, “You're making a big deal out of nothing.”

“...I just want everything to be perfectly fine,” I breathed, “I feel like I have to do that... for everyone.”

He brought himself closer to me, smiling, “I get it, Doe.”

“You do?”

“No. Because people already expect crap from me,” he raised his brow, “Isn't that right?”

I rolled my eyes.

“I have my own things to deal with,” he shrugged, “Why are you telling me this?”

“...Hannah said I'm bossy,” I added.

“That's cause you are.”

I felt slightly hurt. I hadn't done anything to Hannah that I shouldn't have. I organised her things, and advised her to plan her life differently. I yelled at Matthew for not looking after Jackley and basically told Mrs. Evergreen how to run her kitchen. I sighed, still being stubborn.

“I'm not.”

“Yeah?” he scoffed, “You think you can control everything. You can't.

“I...” I searched for words, “I just - I wanted to help. I feel like I have to look out for Jackley. Especially since -”

“Since?” he frowned.

“Matthew... you've never done this before. This is my third year volunteering and your first,” I paused, “I know what to do and you don't.”

Matthew's eyes widened as he shook his head. I only realised how that sounded when I said it out loud.

“Fall off your high horse,” he stood, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

“I'm off,” I shrugged, “I never got on.”

Matthew chuckled as he left the room in silence, as before.

Later on, I returned to the lofty guest room where Matthew and I had been placed to stay, hours before he did. I had my copy of the room key kept safely in my purse.

On arrival, I made up the messy bed and organised all the drawers and the small closet.

Matthew had put away his sleeping bag, so I re-assembled it in the corner of the room, more nicely than he had the first time.

One of the female workers came by to drop off a set of new toiletries, and I organised the batch neatly on the bathroom counter.

I placed my water bottle and Bible on the side table as the door opened.

“What are you doing?” a startled Matthew asked and I spun around.

“I'm back in my room.”

I struggled to make myself comfortable in his corner on the floor and surprisingly he didn't question it. The area smelt of cologne and new fabric, something I didn't mind.

In the meanwhile, Matthew wasted no time. He faced the wall, took off his shirt then plopped onto the bed, not stirring for the rest of the night.

______________________________________
A/N

don't even ask.
im in a mess right now and need to organise my head.
please be disappointed because i am.
<3