Chapter 15 cont'd

Doe's POV

I got ready the fastest I could have, then called Isaiah who showed up in a matter of minutes, outside the lobby.

Him and I practically dragged Matthew to the car, since he didn't co-operate very well, then began on our way to the health centre.

“C'mon Matt, don't die on us now,” Isaiah tried to break the ice, receiving a middle finger from his friend.

Matthew laid there twisting and turning in the backseat, asking a billion and two times when we would reach.

On arrival, the three of us rushed out of the car and through the nearest entrance.

There I was, in an almost deserted waiting room at 2AM.

Two. In the morning.

“So how are things, Doe?” Isaiah asked, messing with the paper cups near the water cooler.

“Great, actually.” I said sarcastically and he chuckled.

“I guessed so.”

One of the medics approached Matthew, then led him into the nearest room alone. After what I assumed was Matt's pre-examination, the doctor returned to invite either one of us into the space.

Isaiah and I looked between each other.

“Okay...I'll go.”

I got up and followed the expert.

Matthew was there laying on the bed, staring up at the ceiling.

I walked over to him, helping him sit up. Matthew was visibly very exhausted, but managed a smile.

“I'm Dr. James,” the man shook my hand, “Matthew...will be alright. But I will need to ask a few questions before we move on.”

I folded my arms, “...Sure.”

“What was the last thing he ate?”

“I...have no idea,” I shrugged, sort of confused as to why I was being asked that.

“Well, I mean... It seems to me as he just has a little food poisoning. With the common cold, everyone's more sensitive. That includes their bodies...” Dr. James paused,“...That includes his stomach.”

“Oh.” I looked at Matthew.

That explained a lot. Especially from the night before at the park.

“Matthew, have you had anything new, lately?” Dr. James pulled out a small notepad and pen, “Any sprouts, poultry, shellfish -”

“Shellfish...”

“ - Rice, deli meats, soft cheeses -”

“Soft cheeses!” I gasped, glancing at Matthew, “The roquefort.”

“Oh...” Matt scratched his head, “Damn.”

“As... suspected. Are you allergic, Matthew?”

“...Nope. But I had... the cheesecake right after the shellfish. Then breakfast was eggs and the yolk -”

The doctor shook his head, slightly.

“Well...roquefort is made from sheep's milk. And it's a soft cheese. Some people are sensitive and don't even know it.”

I nodded, sighing softly.

The doctor then went on to explain that Matthew would have to stay for observation overnight, then be prescribed in the morning.

“Are you... his girlfriend?” he looked up at the both of us as he prepared a form.

Matthew smirked lightly to himself.