Chapter 10 cont'd

Matt's POV

"The raffle is in a few days time. Who wants to go?"

Carla posed the question to the entire committee, but close to no one volunteered. Isaiah sat there rocking back and forth on an office chair, making the only noises in the room.

"I love how eager this committee is," Carla clapped her hands and sat back down.

Everyone went back on their laptops, typing, reading and sending emails and proposals to different companies and people. The money from the bake sale at 'Our Delights' would go towards paying off the painters, and any other groups who offered to help with renovations.

Not all of them wanted to do it voluntarily.

A few of the hallways and outside walls were now glossed in a pale green. It made the building seem alot more friendly. That was good, but there was still work that needed to be done.

"The girls are going to stay in one of the classrooms," I spoke up, "There are only ten of them. They should be fine."

"Hold on, why?" Isaiah leaned over to me, confused.

"The bedroom is going to be inspected. Then, the boys'."

He nodded his head as I sent in the response email which sealed that deal.

"...And I'm bringing someone in to look at the kitchen conditions, too. To see what they can fix," Carla added.

"Why don't we focus on the orphans first?"

"We can do both." Carla ended our short exchange.

I rolled my eyes. I hadn't a clue what she was referring to. Carla never discussed all her ideas with us. Only those she couldn't figure out for herself.

"We won't need them. The volunteers in the kitchen can come up with their own improvement plans," I shrugged.

Doe had a special eye for things that could be better. Why should we have to pay a stranger to tell us what we could have known ourselves?

"Fine," Carla shot her eyebrow up, "Get the list today, Matthew."

"Fine," I mouthed and Isaiah snickered.

I shut off my device and walked out of the room, carrying a small notebook and pen. I walked into the small dining room, then knocked on the steel, kitchen door.

To my pleasant surprise, Doe opened it.

"Lunch is in an hour, if you want you can wait till then," she spoke lazily.

She tried to close the door, but I placed my foot in the way to stop it.

"I'm not here for food," I mocked her bored tone, "I'm here to collect some data."

Doe groaned, "What?"

"For the kitchen... I need a list of things you think could improve," she folded her arms, so I added "Please?"

My partner cleared the path into the heart of the kitchen, which was scorching. A few volunteers were busy at work, mixing, sifting and seasoning. The other two or three, sat on random chairs, drinking out of wine glasses.

I asked Doe to give me a walk around the place, pointing out anything that might be an issue for a potential buyer. We needed the building to sell at the end of all this and it was the committee's job to ensure it was appealing.

"The cupboards are sort of...dusty?" Doe stood on her toes, motioning for me to look inside,"I don't know how much of a problem this is."

I did a double take, ensuring that I hadn't seen wrong. Doe was referring to termites. It wasn't alot, compared to what I've seen, but it was still evident. I scribbled it down, still not getting my head over it.