Chapter 24

Matt's POV

We all moved back home, with one week of the project left.

Every volunteer was now visiting the orphanage daily to help pack up a bit at a time.

That day, I helped out in the kitchen. We were packing away all of Mrs. Evergreen's utensils and kitchenware. Everything went into small, cardboard boxes secured with duct tape.

“There's a kitchen at the old community centre, right?” Isaiah yelled over to me, as he wiped the silverware.

“Yes, and it's a lot bigger than ours here.”I sat at a table organising cutlery by size and specialty. With each set I finished, I stored it away.

“What're you doing after this?” he looked up shortly.

“Uh... studying,” I chuckled, “Yeah, I'm sorta bored at my job. Kinda want to run things instead.”

“Hm, I get it. Meanwhile, I have to move out of town to help my mom take her meds.”

I smiled sadly, “Good luck.”

Amongst all the scrambling and chatter, Doe dragged a chair to the centre of the dining room. As if that didn't catch our attention enough, she climbed onto it, towering over everyone for probably the first time in her life.

“AHEM... people?” she announced, and I gazed at her, smiling.

Isaiah noticed me, whispering, “Well then. Might as well marry'er?”

“Man -”

“MATTHEW and Isaiah...” Doe scolded teacher-style, “Don't make me come down there.”

There was a chorus of laughter, then it was back to business. She cleared her throat again.

“Mrs. Evergreen and I have come up with a little something to give everyone a proper send-off. Tell us if you like it.”

She pulled a folder page out of her back pocket and smoothed it out.

Mrs. Evergreen wanted to host a dinner party of some sort, to close off our temporary bonds. The venue was undecided, given that in a few days time the building would be sold. Not even half of us could have afforded a fancy dinner, and of course, none of our funds were going towards this.

“What do you guys prefer...formal or casual?” Doe raised her voice over the sea of opinions.

A collection of murmurs sounded in response and she looked at me, confused. I shrugged, silently placing a dessert spoon on the table.

“GUYS!” Isaiah shouted and the noise slowly dissolved, “...Is it a yes or a no?”

Everyone yelled in agreement of the plan and Doe nodded her head, adding:

“We'll work out the details.”

She cautiously stepped down from the chair and disappeared into the kitchen.

A few hours passed, and all that was left in the room was a heap of boxes.

“Are we hiring a truck to move all this?” I motioned to the stacks.

“There are people who will do that for free,” Isaiah laughed, folding his legs on top the table.

I spotted Miss Hilga standing near the receptionist's desk. She looked on at how much her building had changed. Everything was brighter, inviting and safe.

I approached the elderly woman, stopping at her side. Miss Hilga took a deep breath and turned to face me.

“Can I help you?” she adjusted her glasses.