1- Live-In Nightmare

::

::

I ran around my apartment like a lunatic as I continuously glanced at the clock on the wall. I was running out of time very quickly, and I was nowhere near done with everything on my checklist. I had to start choosing between tasks to get done; did I want to polish the kitchen table and the coffee table, or should I focus more on organizing the pantry? Or, I could double check the bathroom to make sure I cleaned every surface at least twice.

My brother Taehyung was due to arrive sooner than I had planned when I made my list. Him and his college roommate were less than thirty minutes away, and I briefly worried the apartment wasn't presentable enough. Taehyung omitted any and all details about his roommate, and for all I know, he could be a neat freak far crazier than me. I wanted everything to be perfect by the time they arrived to set the precedent of a good summer, but this was already off to a bad start. At least I managed to put all of their furniture together in the two spare rooms all by myself yesterday.

I wasn't super thrilled about his friend coming to stay with us, but they were a package deal. If I wanted Tae to stay with me, I need to take them both in. If I wasn't slightly worried about my rent payments due for the next couple months, I might have said no. It wasn't like I didn't have room for them both to say, anyway.

"Oh shoot," I mumbled. Food. I forgot to buy food. I spent more time worrying about how neat the pantry looked than actually stocking it for their arrival. Maybe I could order some takeout before they get here.

Taehyung was finishing up his third year of college while I was finishing up my first. I had stayed home to go to a local college since tuition is so much more affordable here... That and my grades weren't good enough to get me into Taehyung's college.

I didn't have the worst grades, per se, but I was nowhere near as smart as Taehyung. He was able to get a scholarship to his dream college, and then there's me who barely got into a smaller and far less picky college.

The minutes I had left were quickly used up as I felt myself pass out on the couch. I briefly checked my appearance in the reflection of my phone, and I looked presentable enough. After three days full days of preparation for their stay, I couldn't be bothered to put any more effort than a loose ponytail and baggy loungewear. Besides, I was still waiting for Taehyung to pay me back for all of the furniture I bought for them. It wasn't exactly a planned expense for my tight wallet.

I jumped up off the couch at the sound of the doorbell as my stomach twisted in nervous excitement. It was finally time. I'd been looking forward to this for the past five months when we first started talking about doing this. I missed being around Taehyung far more than I thought I would, and I was excited to spend time with him over the summer like when we were kids.

I swung the door open with a smile on my face as I saw Taehyung smiling back at me. I hadn't seen him since Christmas break when our parents begged us both to stay at home for a few days, and it was nice to see him again.