4

It's been a few months. Regina is forgetting faster than we all thought. She can't remember names of lots of people. Today she has decided to resign from being mayor. A job she is best at and a job she loves but Regina doesn't remember how to do it properly. She organised a town meeting. I'm sat in the front row with Freddie next to me and Aubrey next to him. Regina walked on stage and to the podium.

"Good afternoon everyone. Thank you so much for coming" she announced with a sweet smile at everyone. "Before we begin is there any questions you'd like to ask about the town"

"When is the garage on hill street going to be fixed" a man asked from behind me.

"I don't know. Soon though. Anything else" Regina asked looking around at everyone.

She looked at me nervous. I can tell she doesn't want to do this. I nod softly at her. Regina shook her head taking a deep breath.

"You can do it" I mouth so she knows.

"Ok I'll start. I have some news I need to announce but it is very difficult for me" Regina says leaning on the podium and looking at them all.

"We have your back madam mayor" a woman shouts from the back.

Regina smiled softly at her. She took a deep breath and nods softly.

"Thank you. So my news is I have to resign" she announced while looking at everyone in a hidden upset face.

"What" people mumbled looking confused and shocked.

"I know but I have to. The thing is I'm battling with early onset Alzheimer's. I'm starting to forget how to do my job properly" Regina says over the top of everyone talking. She had tears in her eyes and it was obvious she was struggling. "I love my job so much and I regrettably have to leave. A new mayor will be in control the day I leave. I'm sorry"

"Who will take control" a woman asked sounding worried.

"I'm not sure yet. Someone from out of town is being transferred but anyone of you can try to become it and an election will take place. I also want to admit something to you all. My marriage with Monica is fake" she announces now looking down ashamed.

"What? Ow my god" people started saying in a mumbling tone.

"We only married to represent LGBT and stop the homophobic stuff in this town. I'm sorry I lied to you all. The person I really love I can't. I'm telling you this so you know to go after whoever you love. This town is full of people. Find your match before it's too late" Regina says as I saw tears in her eyes.

I can't believe she just announced that. She looked down and stepped back. Before another gasp was made Regina left the stage. I stood up and quickly chased after her since I could tell she was crying. Everyone was talking and looking shocked. I followed her to see she was stood behind the curtains silently crying.

"Gina that was so brave" I say to get her attention.

"I should go back out and finish shouldn't I" she asked wiping the tears quickly from her face.

"Yeah. I'll wait here for you ok. Just go and tell them what's left and say goodbye" I softly say placing my hand upon her shoulder.

Regina nods softly and walked back on. She finished her speech. I thought about what she previously said. The part where the person she loves she can't be with. I never said to her I didn't want to be with her. I only told Freddie. She either assumed or my son is planning something. I will talk to him later. I looked back at Regina and saw her coming to an end.

"Thank you all for listening. It's been a pleasure to be your mayor" she says smiling slightly at them.

"We all support you madam mayor" a man says as he stood up.

He started clapping and looked around for people to join in. One by one they all stood up. Clapping and smiling at there mayor. Regina was very good at her job. I saw Aubrey jumping as she clapped. Regina smiled and waved as she left the stage. She hugged me still smiling.

"They still love you" I say making her giggle a little.

"Yeah I guess they do" she replied sound like she was back to being down.

Sorry this is a short one