Chapter 5

"Sounds like a hell of a fight. Sorry I missed it", Sam told Steve.

"If I had known it was gonna be a firefight, I absolutely would have called", Steve said as they walked up the steps to the upper level.

"No, no. I'm not actually sorry. I'm just trying to sound tough. I'm very happy chasing cold leads on our missing persons case. Avenging is your world. Your world is crazy".

"Be it ever so humble".

"You find a place in Brooklyn yet?"

"I don't think I can afford a place in Brooklyn".

"Well, home is home, you know. Where's Madison? Isn't she like your little shadow?"

Steve shrugged. "She's been distant lately. Ever since we got back from Sokovia".

"She found out that some crazy god gave her powers. That would mess with anyone's head".

Steve shook his head. "Nah, something's going on that she's not telling us. I can feel it", Steve said.

Madison stood on the roof of Stark tower staring up at the sky. She wished she could see the stars.

Were the stars in Sokovia different to the ones here?

Madison had been thinking about Pietro a lot lately. She knew she shouldn't be, but she felt drawn to him. Some days she wanted to fly to Sokovia, just so she could be closer to him. "

Hey you", she heard. Natasha walked up and stood beside her. "What's going on? What are you doing up here?"

"I don't want to talk about it".

"Something must be going on, because you've hardly said a word to anyone all night".

Madison fiddled with her charm bracelet. When she got back from DC, she didn't have the heart to tell Peter she was back. "I'm just...thinking about what I want", Madison told her, "Steve and I are no longer in a relationship. I've spent the last few years of my life thinking that Steve was it for me".

"Baby Bird, you're only 21. You have your whole life ahead of you to think about that".

Madison didn't have the heart to tell Natasha about the moment she had with Pietro in the forest and how she had been pulling Pietro into her dreams since Sokovia.

"Come inside", Natasha told her, "You've done enough hiding for one night".

Madison followed Natasha back inside. Natasha led her over the bar and made her a strawberry daiquiri, Madison's favorite mix drink. As she looked around at the party guests and her extended family, she wished that Pietro was by her side.

Once all the party guests left and everyone was sufficiently buzzed, someone thought it would be a good idea to try and pick up Thor's hammer.

"But it's a trick", Clint said, twirling a drum stick in his fingers.

Madison sat on the floor next to her father beside Hill.

"No, no, it's much more than that", Thor said, taking a beer from Steve.

"Ah, whosoever be he worthy shall haveth the power", her father said in a deep voice.

Madison giggled and Steve's head turned to her.

He missed hearing that sound, even if she was drunk.