Part 2

They got a visiting pass for Taehyung to go get coffee with Hoseok. They were sitting quietly across from each other at the nearest shop where Hoseok had bought two coffees. Taehyung was looking nervous and not touching the hot beverage in front of him, his eyes darting around the room.

"I'm sorry - it's a little noisy in here," Hoseok said, not sure how to make the hybrid with him more comfortable. Taehyung perked up a little at his voice though and looked across the table at him with a shy smile.

"No it's okay, I just...got distracted."

Hoseok chuckled. "It happens," he told him. Taehyung looked down into the coffee cup and Hoseok took that moment to really examine him. His hair was a sandy blond color and sort of long, falling over his forehead and into his eyes. His ears were a shade lighter, golden and floppy and Hoseok's fingers twitched on the table when he remembered how soft they had felt to scratch earlier. The hybrid had tanned skin and dark features, his black eyelashes and dark brow standing out in stark contrast to his light fur. Hoseok tilted his head, squinting a little and wondering what it would look like if he smiled.

Just as he was thinking that, Taehyung's eyes flicked up and met his directly, and Hoseok's breath caught. His eyes were beautiful - dark and mysterious, the shape so unique, the long lashes framing them making them pop on his face. He looked surprised to find Hoseok's gaze on him - but he didn't look away, holding it bravely.

"So can you tell me something about yourself besides that you're nervous now?" Hoseok asked him. "What do you like to do?"

"Um. I like to run," Taehyung said, blinking as he continued to hold Hoseok's eye contact. "And eat. And play video games. And-"

"You like to run?"

Taehyung nodded. "It's 'cause..." he pointed at his ears. "I have a lot of energy. And so running is the best thing to do."

"Do you run like...long distances?" Hoseok asked.

"Not really. Short and fast," Taehyung said, his tail starting to wag lightly. Hoseok glanced at it, feeling happy that the hybrid was finally starting to relax a bit. "I'm the fastest dog hybrid at the shelter," he said proudly.

"Wow," Hoseok replied, resting his chin in his hand. "Okay...so how about something you don't like?" He asked next when Taehyung fell silent.

"Coffee," the hybrid replied shyly, his cheeks going slightly pink when he admitted it, his eyes looking away.

"Taehyung!" Hoseok exclaimed playfully. "Why didn't you tell me, I would have gotten you something different." He was laughing, but when he looked at the dog he suddenly stopped. Taehyung was staring at him wide eyed with his mouth hanging open. "What?" Hoseok asked quickly, not sure what he had done wrong.

"You - my name. It sounds different when you say it," he murmured shyly.

"Did I say it wrong? Taehyung. Taaaehyung," Hoseok said, frowning slightly and repeating the name.

"No! No -" Taehyung said, reaching out a hand to touch his wrist lightly. "You didn't do it wrong." Hoseok looked down at Taehyung's fingers on him in surprise and resisted the urge to pull away from his touch. Not that he wanted to avoid it - Taehyung's hand was soft and warm - he just always felt weird touching even a little bit in public. But as he made himself relax - he found he didn't mind much.

-

Taehyung's mind was racing. He was so nervous he would say or do the wrong thing and he needed this human. He didn't know why Hoseok felt so different from anyone else he had ever met but he did and it was so important. He smelled right and the way if felt to hear his name come out of his mouth - Taehyung could swear a shiver ran down his spine at the sound. He had touched him unconsciously, just wanting to assure him that he was fine, he hadn't said anything wrong.

But now he didn't want to move his hand away. He knew he had to, it wasn't normal to keep touching the man for no reason, but...

Hoseok cleared his throat. "So...what do you like to drink?" I'll get you something different. Taehyung slowly pulled his hand away.

"No, it's okay, really-"

"Come on Tae, I insist," he said, standing up and picking up his own coffee. "Let me buy you a tea or something and then we'll head back." Taehyung hung his head. Time to go back already then? He knew he shouldn't have said he didn't like anything. Well, if he was going back anyway, then -

"Hot chocolate?" He asked quietly, looking up at the man with big soft eyes. Hoseok stood with his back to the window, sun filtering in behind him and lighting up his silhouette, shining through his wavy brown hair, dust particles sparkling in the rays around his head. His skin almost seemed to glow in the light and then-

Hoseok smiled.

Taehyung felt his heart shatter into a million pieces. This man. With this ethereal smile. He was going to take him back to the shelter and slip away from him forever. Taehyung was just hoping he could hold off from crying until he got back to his room.

"You got it," Hoseok said, turning to go and order him a hot chocolate. When he walked away Taehyung deflated, dropping his head into his hands. How did he screw this up? He had tried to be so normal. He peeked up through his fingers as Hoseok ordered and waited for his hot chocolate, his fluffy brown hair bouncing as he nodded pleasantly to the barista. When he turned around and caught Taehyung's eye he pressed his lips together into a little smile and tiny dimples appeared around his mouth and it physically hurt Taehyung to look at him but he couldn't rip his eyes away either.

"Ready?" The human asked him pleasantly as he handed him the drink.

"Y-yeah," Taehyung replied, hanging his head.

They went back to the shelter and they were greeted by the staff upon entering.

"Back so soon? How did things go?" She asked, looking between them. Taehyung wilted, his tail drooping down to the floor. But then-

"Excellent! Can I sign his paperwork right now, or do I need to do anything else?"

Taehyung's ear twitched. He blinked. Then he looked up at the human.

"What?" He asked him.

-

Hoseok glanced at Taehyung as he pulled out his ID for the lady, laying his wallet on the counter. "What?" He said back, confused. "Oh sorry - does today not work for you?"

"Today?" Taehyung asked, confusion creeping into the hybrid's voice.

"Yeah...I was thinking you could just come home with me today..." Hoseok said, gesturing vaguely toward his car. "Um, I've never had a hybrid, am I doing it wrong?" He looked at the staff who was just smiling amusedly at them from behind the counter. "Was I supposed to ask or something? You - you did say you wanted me to adopt you - right?" He said, suddenly second guessing himself. He said that right? Hoseok was sure Taehyung had wanted to be adopted by him...was he remembering it wrong?

He was looking up thoughtfully, trying to recall their conversation when he was suddenly almost knocked off his feet by the force of a large dog hybrid colliding with him.

"OH!" He exclaimed, gripping the edge of the counter for support as Taehyung's arms flew around him, his head buried in his shoulder, his tail whipping back and forth behind him a million miles an hour. Hoseok's free arm automatically came up to hold onto his back, helping them both keep their balance.

"I promise I'll be good, I'll be the best hybrid ever!" Taehyung was saying, his voice muffled by his face pressing into Hoseok's shoulder.

"I'm sure you will bud," Hoseok chuckled. "You'll be the best boy for me."

Taehyung pulled back, his big soft puppy dog eyes swimming with tears and Hoseok softened and brought his hand up to stroke his ears. He felt like he could see the world in the hybrid's eyes and he knew he would never let him get hurt again.

"Don't worry Taehyung," he told him, resting his hand on the back of his head, the hybrid's arms still around him lightly. "I'll never send you back."

-

🖤