Chapter Eighteen

(Isa's POV)

I was sitting in a small cafe not too far from home. I'd managed to talk my parents and Nik into letting me leave the house for a little bit.

Of course, I still had Aleksei with me. He was never far away.

He was still in the dark about my relationship with Nikolay. Nik and my father decided that only a select amount of people should know. Plus, grandpa said that he wanted himself and his men excluded from everything going down.

I didn't blame him. I could feel it in my gut that things were going to get messier before they got better.

"It's time to go, Isabella." Aleksei said.

"Okay."

I followed him out to the car and got in the backseat. We were just about to leave when he started talking on the phone. Someone must've called him. The call lasted seconds.

"We're not going home."

"We're not?"

"No, the house was just attacked."

"Where are we going?"

"A safe-house."

We traveled about a hour to the safe-house. I got out of the car slowly.

"Aleksei, this doesn't-"

I never finished my sentence because I felt a sharp pain in my neck and then the world went black.

~~~~~~~~~

I woke up to find myself in the dark. I couldn't see a damn thing and I couldn't move.

"Aleksei?" I called.

"I'm here." He called back.

"What happened? Were we attacked too?"

"You were knocked unconscious." He responded.

"And you?"

The light then came on and I was shocked.

I was in a tied to a bed and Aleksei was standing by the door. Perfectly fine.

"You?"

He grinned. "Me."

"Why?"

"That's a long story." He smirked.

"Why are you doing this?"

He walked over and sat on the edge of the bed. I flinched as he brushed a piece of my hair behind my ear.

"You're beautiful, Isabella. Absolutely beautiful. I can make you happy." He said.

"Aleksei-"

"Do you know who my parents are?" He asked suddenly.

"How the hell would I know?"

"My name is Aleksei Vasiliev." He said, stunning me into silence.

"You're...."

"Nikolay is my brother."

"But how?"

"My mother was his father's mistress."

"The mistress that was pregnant." I said.

"My mother was able to crawl out of the house before your father set it on fire. She went into labor due to stress and I was born into this cruel world that night. She died a day later."