Chapter Twenty-Three

(Isa's POV)

Phoenix and I were still hiding when a car pulled up to the now destroyed house.

I thought it was Nik and my father but it was Aleksei.

"What the f*ck?!" He screamed. "G*ddamn it!!!"

He was so angry. He grabbed his phone and started to call someone.

"Let's go." Phoenix said tugging on my arm.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"I'm not sure, but we don't want him to see us."  He said.

We took off deeper into the woods. We ran and ran until we came across another cabin.

"Do we knock and ask for help?" I asked.

"No." He said shaking his head.

I then watched as he broke into their car and hot-wired it. Before we took off, he ran up and put something in front of the door.

"What was that?" I asked as we took off.

"An envelope."

"Full of what?"

"About $300,000 in cash."

"What? Why?"

"We stole their car, Isabella. It's the least I could do." He said, rolling his eyes.

"Why do you carry that much money with you?"

He shrugged. "Why don't you?"

"Because I'm normal."

He scoffed. "No one in our world is normal, Isa. Plus, normal is overrated."

We drove until we reached a house in the city. It was a safe house.

"Dr. McCall is in there." Phoenix said.

"What?"

"I called him and flew him out before I went to find you."

"What? Why?"

"You know why, Isa." He said softly.

I nodded. "How'd you know?"

"A ghost like myself has connections. One connection is...was the boyfriend of a girl that Aleksei had his eye on. He didn't like the fact that she had a boyfriend that wasn't him."

"How is she now?"

He sighed. "She's dead. She couldn't deal with what he did to her, so she killed herself. She wouldn't get help and she wouldn't see any kind of doctor. She fell into a depression, a darkness. She never bounced back."

He then looked at me and grabbed my hands.

"That can't happen to you, Isa. We can't lose you. You get that?"

I nodded. "You won't lose me. He didn't break me. I didn't let him. I endured it and I survived. I'm not going to let him take anything from me. I'm not going to let him win."

We got out of the car and went inside. Dr. McCall was sitting on the couch in the living room.

"Hello, Isabella." He smiled softly.

"Hey, Doc."

He checked me over from head-to-toe. When he was done, he prescribed me some meds.

"What now?" I asked Uncle Nix.

"I've already called your father and Nikolay. They know were we are."

"Do....Do they know what happened? What he did?"