More to Life

Small Heath, 1920

            The Garrison was alive just like every night. The Shelbys were entertaining the regulars from Small Heath. A tight-knit community of Brummies drinking their cares away now that the Great War was finally over and done with. While the demons lingered, they could ignore them for a brief moment with shots of whiskey and gin.

Ella Shelby was laughing at her eldest brother's antics. She was a welcome sight at the bar. The youngest daughter of the Shelbys, just a bit older than Finn. Birmingham was her realm as her brother ruled with an iron fist. No one touched, looked, or spoke ill about Ella Shelby. Anyone who did would disappear, never to be heard of again.

Having grown up during the building of Shelby Company Limited, Ella was veiled from the dirty work. But she frequented the betting shop, learned from Polly, and doing what she could to help her brothers. She was closest to Tommy, despite the ten-year age difference between them. He and Arthur practically raised her and the other younger Shelbys. She was the apple of his eye, his Ella, and he protected her ferociously. As Tommy staked his claim, he spoiled his sister as well as the rest of his family. They were raised as Travelers, scrounging and only having each other. But as long as he was around he would give them the life he felt they deserved. He bought her horses and let her get a taste of the luxury they never knew.

The Romani princess of Birmingham.

"A toast to baby Ella." Arthur bellowed, holding up his glass of gin. "Our beautiful sister is growing up so fast."

Ella's cheeks burned as the rowdy bar turned their attention to her. "Arthur, please..." She shoved him.

But the eldest Shelby was already drunk and had no filter. "Nineteen! Last I remember you were just a little thing toddling 'round the wagon, begging for a horse of your own."

"Now she has one for every day of the week." Tommy piped up as he lit another cigarette.

"We've come a long way." Arthur nodded. "By the time you turn twenty, we'll be ruling London!" He crowed boastfully. The crowd cheered and raised their glasses.

A bit soberer than her brothers, Ella just rolled her eyes and shook her head. They truly were like Ancient Rome in their desire of expanding their empire. Nothing was ever enough for the Shelby boys, they always wanted more, no matter the cost.

The bar was so loud that people barely heard the gun go off. But the shattering windows grabbed everyone's attention.

Tommy sobered up immediately and pushed Ella to the ground. "Gun!" He shouted. The barmaids screamed as rapid-fire hit the tables, chairs, the bar, and bottles. Glass shattered and rained down from the shelves behind the bar. Wood splintered as bullets lodged in tables and chairs.

Ella held a hand over her head and prayed. It was the first time she'd been put in the middle of chronic violence. Her seasoned brothers whipped out their own guns to return fire.

Tears streamed down her face as the shots seemed to never end. She pinched her eyes closed and it felt like the entire bar was crashing around her.

After just half a minute, the frightening sounds finally ceased.

"Ella, are you okay?" Arthur knelt down next to her and helped her up. "Were you hit?" He held her arms, making sure she wasn't bleeding.