22

Some time passed but Ollie reported that none of the men had come across Inspector Blackwell in their territory. So Alfie called off the search and brought Ella back home. She was a little out of sorts. Although she'd held her ground against the man, she felt unnerved after the fact. Not only did she now know her family was freed, but she was terrified that whatever Tommy's plan was it was beginning soon.

The confrontation also interrupted Ella's little bubble she had created with Alfie. It was all she could do to try and keep a hold of that peace.

"Want to take a bath? Have a cuppa?" Alfie suggested as they entered the flat together. He helped her out of her jacket, gently rubbing her shoulder.

"I don't know." Ella wasn't really paying attention to what he was saying. She knelt down to give Cyril a pat.

Alfie frowned with worry and locked the door behind him. He checked out the small window beside the door. Two men stood across the street, watching the house under Alfie's orders. It might've been excessive, but Alfie wasn't taking any chances with a man of the law. "C'mon, love." He offered a hand out to her and kissed her cheek. "Why don't you head upstairs, I'll make you tea."

She nodded absent-mindedly and went up to the bedroom. Her thoughts were consuming too much of her mind to think straight. Almost in a haze, she slipped into a nightgown and went to sit on the bed. Slowly, she began to pluck out the pins in her hair. Her curls were starting to graze past her shoulders. Every time she realized how long it had grown, her heart ached for her sister and aunt. That inevitably led to missing her brothers and cousin. And finally, her thoughts would settle on Tommy. Anger and hurt enveloping her until she was close to tears.

The hairbrush combed through her hair mindlessly, her eyes fixed on the open bedroom door. She didn't stop brushing until Alfie came upstairs with tea in hand. His entrance snapped her out of the daze and she set the comb aside.

"What're you thinking 'bout, love?" He asked gently and placed the teacup on the nightstand nearest to her. He knelt down in front of her and took her hands in his.

"My family." She admitted quietly.

"Maybe you should call them? Least your aunt." Alfie suggested softly and kissed her knuckles. "Or have Ishmael drive you over? I'd go with you but I..." He winced. "Don't think they'd want to see me."

Ella closed her eyes when she felt the sting of tears beginning. "That's just it, isn't it?" She mumbled. "Things can't go back to the way they were. Ever. But I'm...I'm starting to become okay with that." After focusing on her breathing for a moment, she opened her eyes to look at him. "I love you. And if that doesn't mesh well with my family then that's that. Won't change anything."

In response, he forced a weak smile. He desperately wanted to agree. Fuck her family; they were perfect on their own. Things could keep going as they were for another lifetime. But it wouldn't be in her best interest. Alfie knew her family would always be in the back of her no mind no matter how many times she denied it. He couldn't take the place of her entire family.

"Perhaps you should call Polly." He said again. "Just to make sure she's okay. I'm sure she's wondering the same about you."

Ella sighed and relented. "I'll ring her tomorrow. Tonight, I don't want to have to think about anything else. Just want to go to bed." She frowned and reached for the tea that was still steaming on the nightstand.