39

October 23, 1929

Camden Town, London

"El, can you please do some gypsy magic to get this baby out of me?" Minnie bemoaned from her spot on the couch. The woman was heavily pregnant and trying to reach her stockings to fix them. After a few attempts to stretch over her massive stomach, she gave up with a disgruntled noise and flopped back against the throw pillow.

Ella laughed as she came in from the kitchen. When Minnie's husband was working, she'd taken up to helping her friend around the house. It was a good way to spend the time now that she didn't work at the law office anymore. Instead, she was back on the Shelby payroll so long as she fostered good communication between her husband and brothers.

"I'd have to ask my aunt she might have some tricks." She set down the tray of tea and lunch for her best friend. "Here." She offered to help adjust her stockings.

"Just take 'em off," Minnie grumbled. "Not like I can go anywhere looking like a beached whale." She folded her hands over her stomach with a pout.

Ella smiled and shook her head, tugging off the stockings and placing them over the arm of the couch. "Anything else you need?"

"Oh, El, you're such a gift." Minnie sat up and touched her friend's cheek affectionately.

"Well, as long as I'm the top choice for babysitting." She teased. In the years that had passed since her miscarriage, Ella's life had been very steady. It was something she enjoyed very much. The consistent routine was a joy to her and there was very little she would change. Her relationship with Alfie was strong and she was learning to trust her family again. It was comforting to know she could balance the two and that her love life and family life didn't have to be at constant odds. Even though Arthur gave Alfie deadly looks and Tommy did his best to come out on top in negotiations, they were becoming accustomed to having him around.

"I've got to get my nails done before Thursday." Ella frowned at the chipped polish on her nails. "They look a mess."

"What's the occasion?"

"Oh, Alfie and I are going to Paris for his birthday. His birthday's on the first but he's got a meeting that weekend so we decided to go early. We figured the longer we waited the worse the weather would be."

Minnie smiled coyly. "How romantic."

Ella rolled her eyes but couldn't help the silly smile on her face. "He's calling it the honeymoon we never took." She admitted. "I think he's just being silly is all."

Her friend squealed. "Oh, bless you both. Still so in love after all these years."

"We haven't been together that long." She winced playfully. "I'd hate to grow tired of him after four years."

"Well for your fifth anniversary he'll have to take you somewhere else if you're going to Paris this week. Now I've heard Venice is just gorgeous." Minnie gushed. "Or somewhere on the Mediterranean. Warm weather, beautiful beaches. The water's actually warm and clear instead of the shit we've got here."

Ella just laughed. "I think I'd be quite content celebrating our anniversary in London. Sometimes it's nice just staying at home." She hoped that by their anniversary next year, things would still be peaceful and unnoteworthy.

October 28th 1929

Paris, France

"Alfie, love, will you do up my dress?"