16

Alfie's fingers drummed impatiently on his desk. He was itching to just get the meeting with Tommy over with. He'd suffered enough as far as he was concerned. Seeing Ella cry, being the reason for her tears. Unbearable. But his hands were tied, what else could he reasonably do?

Still, Tommy was prolonging the visit. Taking his time walking to Alfie's office, sitting down, adjusting his tie pin (pretentious ass), and painstakingly lighting a cigarette.

Alfie stifled a groan in the back of his throat and rolled his eyes. "For fuck's safe, what?" His patience was wearing unbelievably thin. Another five seconds and he was sure he would start doling out well-deserved threats.

"You made my sister cry," Tommy informed him as if he didn't already know.

The man narrowed his eyes. "I did? Me? I'm the one who made her cry? You sure 'bout that, mate?" He hissed.

It was infuriating that nothing he could ever do would disturb the Brummie. He simply raised an eyebrow and watched the end of his cigarette slowly burn away. "What can I do to make you change your mind about my proposition?"

"Proposition." Alfie laughed bitterly and toyed with a pen to keep his hands busy. "Tommy, you've been 'round the block before. Surely you must know that a woman doesn't want to be offered up as a token for loyalty. So what you can do, right, is take back your words and leave me be on the matter. Sound good?" When he didn't get an immediate answer, he switched subjects. "You're here to talk business, meeting the Russians tonight. I must urge you to inquire about Faberge eggs. You can toss 'bout diamonds and sapphires or whatever, yeah, but that's the real prize, innit? With a couple of fine pieces and an egg, you'll easily get your fill of forty grand." What came across as helpful was simply Alfie setting up the opening stages of his own plan.

Tommy nodded and looked interested in the possibility. "I can do that. They're tricky but perhaps you'll be able to persuade them a little further."

He crossed his arms over his chest and grunted in agreement. "Whatever I can do, mate."

But apparently, the Blinder wasn't done with the previous issue. "So you have no intention of marrying my sister."

Alfie nearly blew a gasket. "You fucking Birmingham folk don't ever let go of things, do ya?" He snapped.

Calmly, Tommy tapped a bit of ash off his cigarette and cleared his throat. "It's a simple question, Mr. Solomons."

"Don't think it's any of your business, mate. Never has and frankly, it never will." He growled. "That's my decision, innit?"

"I'll take that as a no then."

"Fuck off."

Tommy took one last drag before standing up. "Just trying to clarify, Alfie." He buttoned his coat and flicked the cigarette into the ashtray on the desk that was really only used by him whenever he visited. "I've got other alliances I can make. You think our kin should stay with our kin. Since Ella isn't Jewish and you're so adamant about that, I s'pose it's only fair to uphold our own roots. I've got inquiries from a family of Travelers."

Alfie's hand slowly went to his waistband where his pistol was tucked away. Anger in his blood started to rise to a boiling point. His fingers curled around the pistol, ready to pull it out on the Blinder for what seemed like the hundredth time. It was a miracle Tommy wasn't already riddled with bullets so late in their business relationship.