41

//Thank you so much for 50k reads!

            "Tommy, can we talk?" Ella knocked on the door jamb before stepping into his office. She often visited her brother at the House of Commons because it was closer than having to go to Birmingham or Warwickshire.

He cleared his throat and held a hand out to the empty chair across from him. "Didn't know you'd be coming 'round. How's the arm?"

Ella glanced down at her broken arm, still wrapped tightly in a sling. "It's alright. I'm managing." She sat down and shrugged off her coat. "I was hoping to talk to you about something Alfie said to me earlier this week. I've been thinking a lot about it."

Tommy took off his glasses and set aside the speech he was penning for his next session. "What were you talking about?" After everything the siblings had been through, they were both trying to wave the white flag. Extending peace treaties and an open hand. Though, it was mostly formal, if anything. It had been quite some time since they were as comfortable around each other the way they used to be as kids. Ella could remember so many times telling Tommy things she wouldn't even tell Ada or Polly. She trusted him so much back then. He was her hero, her protector. But trust was difficult to grow back and as far as Ella was concerned, her trust for Tommy hadn't even begun to bud again.

"I may be worried about the things you're planning to do to help our family." She tilted her head to the side. "But Alfie's a bit more concerned with your dealings in Parliament."

"Why am I not surprised that your husband has a problem with politics?" Tommy opened his box of cigarettes and offered one to his sister.

"Do you have any sweets?"

He chuckled and opened one of his desk drawers. "I've got peace babies for when Charlie and Ruby stop in." He handed her the bag. "But go easy, those are Ruby's favorites."

"Oh yeah? Or are they your favorite?" Ella teased. "I'm sure you don't just keep them in your desk for your kids."

Tommy rolled his eyes. "They get stuck in your teeth; it isn't worth the trouble."

"So, you have tried them." She pointed out coyly, picking out the strawberry flavored gummy candies. "I knew it, you always had a sweet tooth when we were younger. Pol had to hide chocolate from you."

"You came on an important matter, not to discuss sweets." He diverted the conversation away from his childhood habits.

"Yes, well-"

"Shelby." Someone came interrupting their conversation, strolling into the office without so much as a knock.

Ella twisted around in her seat and locked eyes with the man who would haunt her for some time after the fact. There was something about his eyes and smug expression that made her subtly shudder in uneasiness.

"Pardon, I wasn't aware you were in a meeting."

"Mr. Mosley, this is my sister, Ella. Ella, this is a colleague of mine, Oswald Mosley." Tommy introduced the two even though Ella was more than happy being unacquainted with the man.

"Please, Miss Shelby." Mosley smiled and nodded politely.

"It's Mrs. Solomons actually." She replied, eyeing him suspiciously.

The fact didn't appear to bother the man. He still had a predatory look about him. "But of course, a beautiful young lady like yourself would be married."